PDA

View Full Version : Toolbox Update!

Bill Grumbine
10-30-2006, 2:55 PM
Well things are looking up. I called Delta to ask if they had decided what they were going to do about my toolbox. The lady in claims told me that they had found a pair of locks that had been on a display box that had never been used. She then said she wanted to confirm with some manager that it was okay to send them out to me before she went ahead and did it, and that she would call me back. I thought, great, now we're getting somewhere.

Then she called me back to tell me that They (they with a capital T) had discussed the whole thing, and since I had trouble with two sets of these locks, it was going to be a waste of time and money to send me a third set. So, They have decided to send me a whole new box! :eek: :D

All I wanted was to buy a replacement set of locks, and I had no thoughts of all that this would happen. It looks like they are going to make me a happy customer again!

Mark, maybe you should give them a call! They are just down the road from you, relatively speaking.

Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-30-2006, 3:44 PM
That is impressive.

Tom Pritchard
10-30-2006, 5:44 PM
Wow Bill, that's great! Nice to see a company trying to do the right thing for their customers! With all the internet exposure that stories like this get, it's bound to earn them more customers and $ales! Thanks for passing this along.

Jim Becker
10-30-2006, 8:23 PM
Hmmm...Uncle Bill is having a banner day in the "problem solving" department!! Congrats, Bill. Sometimes there is sanity in big business. Sometimes...

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 8:34 PM
Well now....you must have a beautiful piece of wood on your lathe that's making all this luck turn your way. Congrats Bill!!!

Mark Cothren
10-30-2006, 8:50 PM
Good info, Bill! Glad you got it resolved. Any chance you could PM me the name of "They"? :) I'd like to know who I need to talk to without going around the world like you did.

Michael Cody
10-31-2006, 2:41 AM
Not to detract any at all from the persistent, impressive and expansive people skills displayed by our beloved Mr. Grumbine,:rolleyes: Did anyone else send delta customer service a note recommending they look at Bill's Toolbox thread (along with the hotlink so they could find it)? I did! :D

I didn't hear back from them, but I did point out the massive number of hits this site gets along with bad publicity they were getting in front of a pickup driving - tool box buying demographic. I would like to think it helped, but I am pretty sure it couldn't have hurt? or as Clint E. would say -- "a legend in my own mind":cool:

Bill Grumbine
10-31-2006, 8:55 AM
Not to detract any at all from the persistent, impressive and expansive people skills displayed by our beloved Mr. Grumbine,:rolleyes: Did anyone else send delta customer service a note recommending they look at Bill's Toolbox thread (along with the hotlink so they could find it)? I did! :D

I didn't hear back from them, but I did point out the massive number of hits this site gets along with bad publicity they were getting in front of a pickup driving - tool box buying demographic. I would like to think it helped, but I am pretty sure it couldn't have hurt? or as Clint E. would say -- "a legend in my own mind":cool:

I've been accused of a lot of things in my life, but not very often of having people skills! :D I had wondered if anyone might contact Delta about the thread I started, but I had not done so myself.

Bill

Robert Mickley
11-01-2006, 10:21 PM
While they may have well taken care of Bill without seeing the thread, you have to admit with the internet and forums like this around it does make companies sit up and take notice.

In the old days they used to say it took 10 happy customers to make up for one unhappy one. Now it takes more. Simply because of the wide audiance an unhappy customer gets.

Randy Meijer
11-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Bill: It's nice to hear you have a short term solution to your problem; but it sorta sounds like there is a basic design flaw in the locking system. Unless you find some way to protect those locks from the elements, you may be right back in the same "kettle" a couple of years down the road??

Bill Grumbine
11-03-2006, 8:28 AM
It's hard to say Randy. I know they did a complete redesign on the locks, and that is the main reason they could not retrofit them to my current tool box. All I have seen of the new one is a picture, but it looks like they have gotten away from an oval lock button to a round one, so hopefully there will be a lot less chance of it racking and binding, which is the problem of the current ones.

Bill

Randy Meijer
11-03-2006, 5:44 PM
Bill: You got lots of differing advice concerning the issue of lubrication. You might want to start a preventative program of routine lubrication....if only you knew what to use. I fall in the graphite camp, myself; but do admit to using WD-40 and silicone sprays on outdoor padlocks. Never had any problem with them gumming up??

You might ask the box manufacturer...Delta(?)...what they recommend and report back to us. I, for one, would be interested to hear what they recommend. Thanks,

Randy Meijer
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Bill: Do you get to keep the old box or does Delta want it back?? Take a look at the following:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006110821383865&catname=&qty=1&item=1-2722 (http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006110821383865&catname=&qty=1&item=1-2722)

Maybe you could use something like this to make your old box functionable again??

Bill Grumbine
11-09-2006, 8:20 PM
Hi Randy

Sorry to be so long in getting back to this thread. I got all kinds of advice on lubricants, but what I ended up buying was a little bottle of Boeshield when I was in Woodcraft the other day. I figure if it is good enough for airplanes...

They did not ask for the old one back, but finding latches that would fit it and work to open the lock would be more trouble than it is worth. Thanks for the link, but those won't work.

I am still waiting for the new box, but I am also still within the time period they said it would take.

Bill