PDA

View Full Version : Craft Show Results

Keith Beck
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
This was our second year setting up a booth at the Apple-Scrapple festival in Bridgeville, DE. For those that have never had the pleasure of enjoying the east coast delicacy called Scrapple, you don't know what you're missing. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif

I digress... As I mentioned, this was our second year attending the show. It rained all day last year, so the number of shoppers was pretty low. This year, the weather was perfect and from what I hear, there were around 30,000 visitors.

We mostly sell pens and other small turned objects, although I did bring the three cutting boards I made and actually sold one of them. I brought all the bowls I've turned over the years and although they did receive a lot of nice comments, no one bought any. My brother brought a few mallets he's turned with the same result. I never have much luck selling the bowls. People don't want to pay the money it takes to make it worth all the time I spent making one. I'd rather give them as gifts than sell underprice them.

All in all, we did pretty well (not enough to retire on unfortunately http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowcry.gif), but most of our sales came later in the day as closing time neared. Antler pens were probably our best sellers. I made several perfume atomizers because I figured they'd go over well with all the women that tend to visit these shows, but I only sold one. You can try to predict what will sell the best, but you just never know how it's going to turn out.

I think for the next show, we'll diversify even more and bring some trivets and other small items that can be made quickly with a good return on investment.

Here's a few pictures:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC00174.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC00175.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC00176.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Keith

Don Orr
10-30-2006, 7:49 PM
...what exactly is Scrapple ???

Very nice set up you have going there. It is very tough to try to figure out what will sell. Diversity is good as you said, and quick,easy products can help if inexpensive.

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 8:26 PM
Don - Scrapple is the best ever!

But I suggest you fry some up and try it before you discover the ingredients.

MMMmmmm Good!

Great booth, Keith.

Nancy Laird
10-30-2006, 8:46 PM
Don - Scrapple is the best ever! NOT!!!!!!

But I suggest you fry some up and try it before you discover the ingredients.

MMMmmmm Good!

Great booth, Keith.

Read James Michener's Centennial -- there's a pretty good description of the making of scrapple in one of the chapters. Depending on how weak your stomach is, you might get sick just reading the description of how it's made. Ugh!!!!

Nancy

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 9:06 PM
Ahem - Nancy!:mad:

Comments like that will earn you a case of Moxie.:eek:

Please edit your post accordingly:D

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 9:13 PM
Scrapple tastes about as bad as Moxie... Hugh Andy? :p :D

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 9:14 PM
Keith,

Congrats on your craft show. Looks like you had some really nice stuff for folks to buy. Around here, you can't hardly sell anything handmade for any real decent price. Everybody wants what you made for next to nothing. May your shows grow ever more successful for you in the days ahead.

Curt Fuller
10-30-2006, 9:18 PM
That's a nice looking setup you have for sales. I was glad to see you finally smiled in that last picture, in the first two you look like you're gonna whoop somebody if they don't buy something;) :D :eek: .

Nancy Laird
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Scrapple tastes about as bad as Moxie... Hugh Andy? :p :D

Scrapple, as bad as it is, isn't nearly as bad as souse!

Keith, your set-up is nice. Two questions--did you make the displays for your pens. And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you ask for a simple 7mm twist? Everyone keeps telling me I'm selling mind too cheaply at $40 for a set (P & P).

Nancy

CORY FETZER
10-31-2006, 8:03 AM
mmmmmmmscrapple good eatin but ill take some pan pudding over toast to

Ken Salisbury
10-31-2006, 8:14 AM
Your show presentation is great. I stopped doing craft shows after I came down with lung cancer and couldn't do any shop work (doctor's orders). However, I did them for many years selling mostly small items like pens, toothpick holder key rings, bottle stoppers, perfume atomizers, etc along with a few bowls. The proceeds from my craft shows purchased a bunch of new equipment for my shop.

Scrapple Rocks !! I have been eating it since I got out of diapers and I am now 74. Regardless of the ingredients -- it won't kill ya :) .

Frank Fusco
10-31-2006, 9:27 AM
Congrats on a good show. Thirty thousand visitors is impressive. Selling is almost always in the numbers. High traffic means high(er) sales.
Your comment about the perfume atomizers is interesting. On a penturning forum a member made a comment a while back that he could not keep up making them fast enough as they were his biggest seller. I made three, gave one to my wife and still have the other two, they wouldn't sell.
I note the nice sign in background, it gives a professional look.
Were the bonkers for use on non-buyers? :)

Keith Beck
10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Frank - I had several women express interest in the perfume atomizers, but they almost all stated that they were now allergic to perfume and couldn't wear it anymore. Maybe a side-effect from all the scrapple consumption? Hmmm... We told them that they could also fill it with mouthwash or liquor, but that didn't help. :)

Nancy - We purchased the display cases for our pens mostly from eBay. As I remember it, they were fairly inexpensive. Our prices for the slimline pens ranges from $20-$25. It depends on the material. For a pen and pencil set in a wooden box, we generally charge $45.

For those with disparaging comments regarding scrapple, don't knock it until you try it! The best way to enjoy it is in a scrapple and fried egg sandwich with mayonnaise. But, I will say, not all scrapples are created equal. I don't like Rapa at all. The best in my opinion, is Milton Scrapple, which is made in my hometown of Milton, DE (I could be biased I guess). Hughes brand isn't bad either.

Keith