PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Screws

Rob Bodenschatz
10-30-2006, 9:58 AM
I've used my Kreg pocket hole jig on a few projects now and I think I like the results and ease of use. The jig came with some screws but I went through them pretty quickly. Looking to stock up. I see myself using the jig primarily for building cabinets and faceframes. Mainly plywood, mdf, poplar. I'm going to order washer head screws from McFeely's. Help me decide which ones to get. They have #7 and #8 in the following lengths: 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2". Each combination comes in fine and coarse. That's 20 possible choices. I'd like to stock up on 4-6 different types. Help me decide.

Rod Torgeson
10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Bob....Every once in awhile Rockler has a buy one get one free, that is when I stock up if I'm in the area of a Rockler store. I usually use the 1 1/4 inch fine for hardwoods and the 1 1/4 inch coarse for soft woods. This is for 3/4 inch thick stock. Never had a problem yet with that combination. Hope this helps.

Mitchell Andrus
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I use Kreg's own 1.25 coarse thread for soft and hard woods (everything), but I run a production shop. There are others out there, some good, some bad. I stick with Kreg.

Mitch

Jim DeLaney
10-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Instead of the washer-head screws, McFeely's has 'dedicated' Kreg pocket joinery screws. Theycome in 8 different sizes/lengths.

I find I use the 1¼" length the most - for joining 4/4 stock. Occasionally, I use the 2½" ones for '2-by' stock.

The stock numbers I use the most are #0812-KWC; 0820-KWC; and 0712-KWF.

Scott Loven
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I've used my Kreg pocket hole jig on a few projects now and I think I like the results and ease of use. The jig came with some screws but I went through them pretty quickly. Looking to stock up. I see myself using the jig primarily for building cabinets and faceframes. Mainly plywood, mdf, poplar. I'm going to order washer head screws from McFeely's. Help me decide which ones to get. They have #7 and #8 in the following lengths: 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2". Each combination comes in fine and coarse. That's 20 possible choices. I'd like to stock up on 4-6 different types. Help me decide.
From the Kreg web site:
It is recommended to use a fine thread screw in hardwoods such as oak, maple, walnut, cherry, hickory, etc. Use a coarse thread screw in softer materials such as pine, plywood, melamine, MDF and particle board.
As a general rule, when joining 3/4'' stock to 3/4'' stock you will use a 1-1/4'' screw. When joining 1/2'' to 1/2'' material use a 1'' screw, and to join 1-1/2'' to 1-1/2'' material use a 2-1/2'' screw. A good way to test the amount of screw penetration into your second workpiece is to take a scrap piece of material that is the same thickness as the stock you will be actually joining and drill a pocket hole to the desired depth. Run a screw into the scrap piece. Now hold the scrap piece up to the second workpiece to visually verify penetration depth. Adjust for deeper or shallower thread penetration by changing the setting of the jig, moving the depth collar or using a different screw length.
I sell kreg screws and products if interested.
Scott

JayStPeter
10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I stock 1" and 1 1/4" in fine and coarse for woodworking tasks in 1/2 and 3/4 material. I also keep 2 1/2 (I think) in coarse for when I'm making quick/dirty things out of 2x4s. I typically use some other form of joinery for thicker materials. I do like the washerhead self-drilling screws for other stuff sometimes so I happen to have some other sizes laying around. But, I've never used them with my pockethole jig.

Kent Fitzgerald
10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Rob, Kreg has a chart with their recomendations:
http://www.kregtool.com/products/ka/ScrewChart.pdf

They suggest #7 fine thread for hardwoods and #8 coarse thread for softwoods. That's always worked for me.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-30-2006, 1:29 PM
Kent, I didn't know that document existed. It's great. I'm gonna stock up on the six they call the "most popular". Looks like they'll work for me.

Thanks all.

CPeter James
10-30-2006, 7:34 PM
I use pocket screws by the thousand. I find them for quick jigs or locations that do not show. They are a fast and secure way to do joinery. I buy only genuine Kreg brand and buy then by the 1,000 screw or 500 screw box when someone has them on sale. I use 1 1/4" & 1 1/2" coarse and fine and the 2 1/2" which only come in coarse. I don't have the ocasion to join 1/2" to 1/2" so I haven't needed the 1" screws. I do use washer head screws from Mcfeeley's and have them in sizes from 1/2" to 3" so if the need arose, I could get by.

CPeter