PDA

View Full Version : Quality Shop Time

Guy Germaine
10-30-2006, 8:28 AM
Saturday morning, my son and I took a ride over to Woodcraft to get him the mandrel and other stuff so he could start turning pens. We spent about 4 hours in the shop that evening with me showing him how to cut his own turning blanks, and such. Then we took turns making our first pens. I can't tell you how much we both enjoyed working together on these. His is the top one. It's made from a piece of walnut, and I actually like the shape of it more than mine. Mine is made from a nicely figured piece of mahogany I had in the scrap bin.

http://www.fototime.com/83E4507060DE252/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7C09801933F2EA8/standard.jpg

Lou Ferrarini
10-30-2006, 9:22 AM
Nice job.

When my son gets home for Christmas break, I intend on showing him the "Art of Pen Turning".

A good way to spend time together.

Bob Noles
10-30-2006, 3:08 PM
Guy,

Glad I don't have to judge, but if I did, sonny would be winning by a nose, but then again and like I said, glad I don't have to judge :D

Seriously... great job on both "first" pens and the time together was priceless :)

Keith Burns
10-30-2006, 5:00 PM
Gas to Woodcraft.........$5.00
Pen Mandrel............$20.00
Two Pen Kits..............$16.00
Time with your Son......PRICELESS

Great stuff:) :) :)

Richard Jones
10-30-2006, 5:10 PM

What Keith said..................

You can send them to school, you can send them to camp, you can send them to baseball/football/basketball practice, but you cannot really connect with them until you can do something WITH THEM on an level playing field.

Excellent pens, make sure he saves that one as his FIRST!!!

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Guy Germaine
10-30-2006, 6:52 PM
Guy,

Glad I don't have to judge, but if I did, sonny would be winning by a nose, but then again and like I said, glad I don't have to judge :D

Seriously... great job on both "first" pens and the time together was priceless :)

No problem Bob. If I had to judge, his would win hands down. I like the shape of his much better than mine.

Keith Christopher
10-30-2006, 7:06 PM
Wonderful ! I know I LOVE the time my son or daughter help me in the shop or want to take over the tool from dad ! It is so much fun watching them grow and learn a trade that is handed down, they will talk about it with their grandkids.

Don Orr
10-30-2006, 7:12 PM
Definite emphasis on the QUALITY in your post. Quality time and quality product ! I am not fortunate to have kids so I don't get those kind of experiences. Cherish them deeply. Great job both of you!

Corey Hallagan
10-30-2006, 7:42 PM
Excellent guy, beautiful pens and a great time in the shop!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2006, 8:47 PM

Amen to what Keith said. Beautiful thing Guy.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM

Somethings in life are important.....................Somethings are not........This is!

Congrats Dad! BTW........You both did a good job on those pens!

Chris Chavis
10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Wonderful ! I know I LOVE the time my son or daughter help me in the shop or want to take over the tool from dad ! It is so much fun watching them grow and learn a trade that is handed down, they will talk about it with their grandkids.

I can't wait for my son to get old enough to spend time in the shop with me. He turns 2 in April, so I have a while to go. Well... he does spend time in there with me, I just don't get too much done when he's around. He likes to take everything out of my tool pouch and "pound" nails I stuck in a 2x4 for him. I, on the other hand, follow him around cleaning up my toys. :)