PDA

View Full Version : Pen engraving

Lou Ferrarini
10-30-2006, 8:25 AM
Have any of you engraved the pens you have made? If someone wants thier initials on a pen, I there any way to do it short of a $10,000 laser engraver?

Frank Fusco
10-30-2006, 8:59 AM
On the penturning forums, the general feeling is that engraving on a small object like a pen detracts from the pen itself. But, that's a matter of personal taste. A commercial laser engraver can do it quite inexpensively.

Joe Melton
10-30-2006, 3:37 PM
Call a local jeweler and ask him or her where to take it. They deal with engraving all the time.
Joe

Blake McCully
10-30-2006, 4:50 PM
Lou,
Check with Ken Nelson at kallenshaanwoodsDOTcom. He does a great job at a very reasonable cost. I've worked with him for a couple years. Even though you have to send your stuff to Las Vegas, he has a very fast turn-around.

Keith Outten
10-30-2006, 6:15 PM
Here is the link to the SMC engravers list, there are plenty of talented Laser Engravers here at The Creek.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.html

Keith Christopher
10-30-2006, 6:24 PM
Lou,
Check with Ken Nelson at kallenshaanwoodsDOTcom. He does a great job at a very reasonable cost. I've worked with him for a couple years. Even though you have to send your stuff to Las Vegas, he has a very fast turn-around.

I heartily second this opinion. A wonderful person to work with I have NEVER been displeased with this work or speedy turnaround. I am no way associated with this company but good work and customer service should be passed on.

Keith

Mike Jory
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Lou; Coincidently I am waiting for three 'test' pens to come back from the engraver. For an employee craft sale, I would have my company's logo added to small items; pens, letter openers, bottle stoppers, etc.

I found a trophy shop near me that has a laser. He had only done a couple of wood items. All I needed was a JPG file. One thing he mentioned was, he could engrave one line of text on any item, even thin Slim pens, but the larger Cigar, Baron, and El Grande would be better for text and logos.
Appearently, with one larger logo, the laser will be very slightly out of focus as it approaches the edges of the barrel round. With text he could rotate it for extra lines.

BTW, I was getting ready to send pens to Mr. Nelson, but since I found a local business willing to take this on, the in-person option won.
If this works as I'm hoping it should, my price for turnings will go up considerably.
Good Luck, Mike