PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this Maple Burl?

Rick de Roque
10-29-2006, 8:33 PM
I was helping my brother clean out a storage locker and I found this and he said he bought it about 5 years ago and said for helping him he gave this to me (gloat?). I have never worked with anything like this before so I need some ideas. Make a couple bowls? natual table top? etc. It is 37" x 26" x 3" thick.
Thanks,
Rick

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/burl.jpg

Steve Wargo
10-29-2006, 8:35 PM
That's simple... Send it to me!
Nice score.

Rick de Roque
10-29-2006, 8:39 PM
That's simple... Send it to me!
Nice score.
What to do with maple burl? Except send it to someone else;)

Rick

John Michaels
10-29-2006, 8:40 PM
My vote would be a table. The upper left area that was cut with a saw could face the wall so it's not noticeable.

Corey Hallagan
10-29-2006, 9:04 PM
As a turner, wow.... I could think of several things. 3 inch thick is good. I would get some pen blanks out of it, couple vase blanks, bowl blank if you turn bowls... box blanks. Cool piece!

John Timberlake
10-29-2006, 9:25 PM
Looks like a really unique coffee table to me. Many options for legs.

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 9:39 PM
Table top if it were in my shop... ;)

Jim Bell
10-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Bowls and platters
Jim
:)

Al Killian
10-30-2006, 1:44 AM
If it where up to me I would go for a table top. It is a exspensive junk of wood to cut into bowl blanks.

Chris Barton
10-30-2006, 7:08 AM
As someone that turns, does flat work (GWW) and veneer work, I think you have several options. Just looking at the slab I see a couple of bowls as possibilities and then you could turn the rest into pens, wine toppers, etc. Or, you could do the table top but, I would resaw it into two 1.5" pieces for that. And, lastly, what I would be most likely to do, take it to my big bandsaw and make about 30 sheets of veneer to use on other flatwork projects...

Rick de Roque
10-30-2006, 10:20 AM
As someone that turns, does flat work (GWW) and veneer work, I think you have several options. Just looking at the slab I see a couple of bowls as possibilities and then you could turn the rest into pens, wine toppers, etc. Or, you could do the table top but, I would resaw it into two 1.5" pieces for that. And, lastly, what I would be most likely to do, take it to my big bandsaw and make about 30 sheets of veneer to use on other flatwork projects...
Chris,
You have a bandsaw that can resaw this wide of burl? Nashville isn't too far from Conway...;)

Rick

Mark Pruitt
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
My first instinct was to suggest turning bowls. But the more I look at that piece, the more I envision it being intact (including thickness) as a table top. The biggest challenge to me would be in designing a leg configuration that would compliment the top. I would burn the sawn area at the upper left, maybe even make a few stress cuts in it to lessen the contrast.

Rick de Roque
10-30-2006, 9:27 PM
Everyone, thanks for the ideas. Does anyone have any pics of some burl stuff they have done? (bowls, tables, etc)

Thanks,
Rick

John Piwaron
10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Table. No doubt. It's big enough for a really spectacular top. Now ya gotta find some stylish legs to go under it.

I'm envious. Great hunk 'o wood!

Chris Barton
10-31-2006, 7:52 AM
Chris,
You have a bandsaw that can resaw this wide of burl? Nashville isn't too far from Conway...;)

Rick

There is another creeker closer to you than me that has the bandsaw capability to do that, just send a PM to tod evans who lives in Mt Home...

Blaine Harrison
10-31-2006, 9:04 AM
Nobody's given you a "congrats" for the gloat on getting the burl. That's one spectacular piece of wood. Whatever you make from it will be a showpiece, for sure.

Blaine

Frank Fusco
10-31-2006, 9:08 AM
It doesn't look big enough for a gunstock, but you could get some really spectacular pistol grips out of it. And save scraps for pen blanks. Bowls, small turnings, actually anything would be great. Nice haul.

Jerry Strojny
10-31-2006, 4:10 PM
My vote would be for table. Just too nice to make toothpicks out of it. Nice gloat too.