PDA

View Full Version : Just checking in

Bruce Page
10-29-2006, 8:19 PM
I have been back in Alaska for the past couple of weeks. I had a day off before flying over to Kodiak and did some sight seeing south of Anchorage. I saw several spectacular glaciers and stopped and toured the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage, Alaska. This was my first time seeing moose up close, they are big!

I hope to be heading back home later this week. :)

Rob Russell
10-29-2006, 8:58 PM
Attached is a pic of a momma and couple year old cub I took on our recent trip to Alaska. The other pics are too large to size down to fit the SMC size retrictions, at least using the software that I have.

Alaska is an absolutely amazing place - definitely worth the trip if you have the opportunity.

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 9:35 PM
Although I know it's a pain to be traveling and away for awhile, you at least are getting to see some pretty kewel things! Safe travels!

Jack Dickey
10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
UUMM Moose steaks ... Cant wait to go back for more ..

Norman Hitt
10-30-2006, 2:50 AM
Hey, Bruce, that seems like a lot shorter time up there than you normally get sentenced to. What happened, the weather not cold and dreary enough to meet the required "Misery Factor" level required for that job classification?:D

It was nice that you got to see some of the interesting and beautiful parts this time. When I was going up there for my tour on Shemya, I went a day early to Seattle so I could go to the World's fair, before catching my Mats flight out of Mc Cord to Anchorage, and was really glad I did. I always thought the "Sights" seemed to look even better when someone else was paying the travel bill.:D Be safe.

Bruce Page
10-30-2006, 2:59 AM
Hey, Bruce, that seems like a lot shorter time up there than you normally get sentenced to. What happened, the weather not cold and dreary enough to meet the required "Misery Factor" level required for that job classification?:D
Hey Norman, I'm just doing some equipment check-outs this time around. I will be back - probably in the dead of winter..:(
The weather as been pretty nice compaired to what I'm used to up here!

John Schreiber
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
You think moose are big? Wait until your camping in a tent which weighs about three pounds. Then you hear a moose walking around and brushing against the sides of your tent. (I was glad my tent was self supporting and didn't have any ropes that might have tripped the big guy.)

They are generally gentle, but anything that big that close and that wild can make you taste fear.

Jack Dickey
10-30-2006, 3:48 PM
John thats why I never go without my moose tag and 375 and 44 .. Wait'll a Grizz comes sneakin' into camp ..

Bruce Page
10-30-2006, 5:08 PM
You think moose are big? Wait until your camping in a tent which weighs about three pounds. Then you hear a moose walking around and brushing against the sides of your tent. (I was glad my tent was self supporting and didn't have any ropes that might have tripped the big guy.)

They are generally gentle, but anything that big that close and that wild can make you taste fear.

No thanks John. These guys were all behind fences which is about as close as I ever want to get.

Frank Fusco
10-30-2006, 5:53 PM
John thats why I never go without my moose tag and 375 and 44 .. Wait'll a Grizz comes sneakin' into camp ..

You got lota them mooses and griz in 'Bama?
Oops! Maybe I shouldn't be teasin' you. :eek:
After all, the Arkansas Razorbacks are the Alabama State Champions.:)

Joe Mioux
10-30-2006, 5:57 PM
Hi Bruce, glad all is well with you.

Take care
Joe

Jerry Olexa
10-30-2006, 7:06 PM
2 years ago, my son & I went to Yellowstone and The gr Tetons. One AM, my son woke me to tell me there was a huge moose near our cabin who had slept there overnite. I got a pic of the moose rising w the frost all over its back.(this was Sept) Yes, they are big!!

Jack Dickey
10-30-2006, 7:21 PM
Here here Frank .. There was Mooose and Grizz tags in Alaska on my license ..
None here cept on the walls ..
Rkinsaw is Alabama state champeons ?? HHMM ... Couldnt say , I dont keep up with football anymore .. Better things to do