PDA

View Full Version : FWW #116 - mortiser

jerry cousins
10-29-2006, 6:55 PM
I just brought home a general hollow chisel mortiser - it feels like it can be considered a gloat - less than 2 years old - 1 hp, floor model, with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, & 3/4 bits - $360.
am missing fww issue #116 - which has an article on mortisers - wondering if someone might either scan it in and email it or copy it and mail it to me. will cover any costs.

much appreciated for the assistance

jerry

Alex Berkovsky
10-29-2006, 7:15 PM
Jerry,
PM me your email.

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 8:07 PM
Jerry, check for the availablity of a back issue from Taunton or check at your local library. Those methods will keep things within the copyright.

Mike Henderson
10-29-2006, 9:13 PM
Jerry, check for the availablity of a back issue from Taunton or check at your local library. Those methods will keep things within the copyright.
I've always wondered about the legality of copying a single article for no charge. If you go to a library, they allow you to copy a few pages of a magazine or book on their copy machine. If it was illegal, seems like they wouldn't allow that.

I would expect that if you copied the whole magazine (or book) it would be a violation. Likewise if you made money on the copy, even if it was just an article.

If there's a copyright attorney out there, please post about what's legal and what's not.

Mike

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 9:43 PM
Mike, I don't know the "legal specifics", but try to be cautious. Copying an article at a library for personal is usually just fine. Copying it and sending it to someone else "may" not be. I don't know...again, it's one of the few times someone might refer to me as a "conservative"... :D :D :D

Geoff Barry
10-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Both! The short answer is that both scenarios are infringement. Whether you go to a library or whether a friend copies or scans it in at home makes no difference to the legal analysis. Whether it should be wrong, or whether anyone should care, are different questions . . .

Mike Henderson
10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Both! The short answer is that both scenarios are infringement. Whether you go to a library or whether a friend copies or scans it in at home makes no difference to the legal analysis. Whether it should be wrong, or whether anyone should care, are different questions . . .
Thanks, Geoff. I appreciate the clarification.

Mike

Geoff Barry
10-30-2006, 1:17 AM
Just to be clear - the analysis I referred to (without describing) above would apply to copying a whole article (regardless of length), not to copying a part of an article. The reason the above answer was the short answer is that some sort of copying is ok, depending on the amount copied, the nature of the intended use, the nature of the work being copied, and whether there would be an effect upon a potential market. It would be possible to spend an entire career in academia arguing over what, exactly, constitutes a fair use. And, of course, fair use is a defense to an infringement claim, not an affirmative right.

Lest we (or I :) ) get too wound up about it, remember that making a mix tape for your girlfriend is copyright infringement, too. So is sharing copyrighted music (unless you own the copyright or have permission from the person who does) over the internet to strangers on a p2p network. However, one is more or less ignored, whereas the other will buy you a lawsuit. Which leads to the most important shorthand in fair use analysis: if your infringement causes the copyright owner to lose money, or offends him or her, you're far more likely to be sued no matter how the actual legal analysis turns out . . .

Allen Bookout
10-30-2006, 9:03 AM
That is a great buy Jerry. I have been putting off buying due to the cost being two or three times that for a new one. How did you go about finding it?

Sorry that I cannot help with the article!

Allen

Jim Becker
10-30-2006, 9:18 AM
Geoff, I believe there are special considerations for materials in libraries relative to copying for personal use/review outside of the library. I could be wrong on that, however... ;)

jerry cousins
10-30-2006, 9:48 AM
yeehaw!! - did not mean to start such a serious ethical or legal maelstrom.
allen - i found it by luck - just browsing the local craig's list site.

jerry

Mike Henderson
10-30-2006, 1:01 PM
yeehaw!! - did not mean to start such a serious ethical or legal maelstrom.
allen - i found it by luck - just browsing the local craig's list site.

jerry
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jerry, and congratulation on the score. But you know the rules here, "No pictures - didn't happen!"

Mike

glenn bradley
10-30-2006, 1:10 PM
That's OK Jerry. One of the good things (and sometime's not-so-good) about this forum is one question or answer leads to many others. I for one, am happy (and jealous) for your find. As a bonus I'm a little more clear on the copyright thing.

Enjoy the machine and if you receive the complete article via email or whatever, remember to skip some parts so it won't be considered complete:D.