PDA

View Full Version : turning a pie shaped blank

Hilel Salomon
10-29-2006, 1:53 PM
I'm probably still not ready for this, but experimenting with shapes is part of the fun/frustration. I've seen experienced turners draw up a pie shaped piece out of a large chunk of wood, but I'm not sure how to prepare it for the lathe or how to chuck it. Any advice is welcome. Hilel

Jim Ketron
10-29-2006, 2:46 PM
I think a little more info would help us help you.
what do you have to work with EX: chucks, face plates, band saw????
Can you give us an example of what you are wanting the piece to look like?

Hilel Salomon
10-30-2006, 5:39 PM
Thanks for your response. I have pretty much everything. Lots of chucks (axminster, vicmarc, supernova2's and several oneway strongholds; lots of faceplates of different sizes and bandsaws. I've made numerous bowls of different shapes but I have no idea of what to do with a piece of wood that's pie (perhaps wedge) shaped. I'll be happy to do whatever to make it into some kind of bowl. When I work with logs, I cut them in half then -on the bandsaw- cut out a circular shape. How would I go about doing that with a pie/wedge shaped piece? I guess I could put the back end on a faceplate and make a cone, but is that it? Sorry to be so tool rich and knowledge poor. Thanks, HB

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 5:54 PM
Hilel - when you say pie-shaped, are you referring to a piece such as the one circled in this photo?

Keith Christopher
10-30-2006, 6:29 PM
I'm thinking NE bowl.