PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chucking & Green ?

W.C. Turner
10-29-2006, 1:02 PM
A lot of times, I'll turn pieces all the way, using green wood. Can vacuum chucking be used on green wood?

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 2:28 PM
Yes, it can with the same care you would take with dry wood. Do remember that too much vacuum can colapse a turning and when the wood is wet it flexes more in that respect. Consider that if you are going "thin"...

Jim Ketron
10-29-2006, 2:40 PM
I agree with Jim
Also the wood will be less porous(cells filled with water) while wet so the Vac should be better. but only use enough Vac to hold it and not to implode it;)

Bill Boehme
10-29-2006, 4:29 PM
My experience has been that the vacuum will suck the bottom of the bowl dry which can be a problem for some woods. I have also found that if the inside has not been finished, it may suck a lot of dust through the pores so make certain that you have a good filter in your vacuum line. Lately, I have been finishing my bowls with either tung oil or BLO and then letting it cure before vacuum chucking and turning the bottom. This allows the turning to hold a better vacuum and also not allow dust to get into the vacuum line. Another oil finish and then I am done after turning the botttom -- sometimes I will use a spray lacquer finish after the oil has has plently of time to cure.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
10-29-2006, 7:22 PM
Another comment on vacuum chucking green wood W.C. If the wood is really wet, it can allow the air through as fast as the pump sucks it out, meaning no vacuum. You can alleviate that with tape (like that guy did in the movie!). By the way, your cover is in the mail.

Bill

W.C. Turner
10-30-2006, 12:52 AM

To The 2 Jim's!!

And, The 2 Bill's!!

Thanks, Bill G. for the confirmation, on my video case! BTW, Who was that guy in the movie?

W.C.