PDA

View Full Version : nutty move...help please:)

Tony Kent
10-29-2006, 2:03 AM
Hello all,
I bought a new 3/8 henry taylor bowl gouge without a handle. Well when I was making said handle I decided I wanted to see how well the gouge fit in the hole I drilled......well it fits perfectly, great , wonderful. problem is I wasn't done with the handle yet, it needs sanding and a finish. here is the question since I can't get the gouge out of the handle how do I finish it without messing up the tip of the gouge....? My only excuse is I was so happy to have the dang thing and I must say the handle turned out pretty good although I am not good at spindles.
Thanks for any tips and advice.
Tony

Harvey M. Taylor
10-29-2006, 7:43 AM
Looks like you only have 2 alternatives to me. Either use it 'as-is' until you are unhappy with it and then cut it off with the bandsaw and do the next one the way you like it, or, cut it off now and make a new one.

Some people have 20 years experience in a given endeavor, while others have one years experience twenty times.

Tom Sherman
10-29-2006, 8:04 AM
Tony, I have a feeling that if you did manage to remove the tool from the handle, it might not fit as well the next time you try to put it together. I believe I would chalk it up to experience and use it as is till time for a new handle. Just my thoughts, someone else may have more useful info for you.

Bob Noles
10-29-2006, 8:05 AM
How fast we forget how to hand sand and hand finish when we get our lathes :eek: :D

I would sand it by hand and then use a good wipe on oil or varnish. Should come out equally as well as doing it on the lathe.

Don't forget the pictures when you are finished :)

Raymond Overman
10-29-2006, 8:16 AM
A 3/8 gouge should fit through the morse taper in your headstock. Just run the gouge through the center of your chuck and into the morse taper. Clamp down on the ferrel and bring up the tailstock for support and your ready to sand.

Andy Hoyt
10-29-2006, 9:24 AM
I actually don't care for a finish on my handles. When I make a new one I'll turn it, sand to 80 grit, and call it good.

I also sand the finish off purchased toolage. Last time I did that I chucked up some scrap, made a small divot in for the pointy end of the tool and brought the tailstock up to grab the not-so-pointy end. Sand to 80.

Why? I prefer the traction my hands get on the rougher surface. It might be one of those in-my-head things, but I believe I have better tool control as a result.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with Andy. I may put a little stain on but that is it. I would just go with it if it were me.

Jim Becker
10-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Sand it by hand and if you need a finish, just use some shellac. You're done.