PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Burl to Make Veneer

Dennis McDonaugh
10-23-2003, 9:04 PM
I bought a couple pieces of burl to use in some box tops and now I need to square them up in preparation for making the veneer. Can I run them through the jointer or do I have to use the table saw and a sled. I'm kinda wondering if I have to worry about having having too much tearout. Thanks,

Ted Shrader
10-23-2003, 9:24 PM
Dennis -

Do you need to flatten the face or straighten the edge? I have had pretty decent luck on the edge with a liiiiigghhht, sloooowww cut on the jointer (sharp knives, too). For the faces, I used a lunchbox planer, not the PM 15" - again with light slow cuts.
After the first slice on the bandsaw, I used a belt sander to flatten the sawn surface prior to going back to the bandsaw.

Good luck,
Ted

Roger Myers
10-23-2003, 9:33 PM
Dennis...I'm sure that you are already thinking this, but when I read your post I had to comment...if you use the jointer, use extreme caution...burls, being irregular in shape, and gnarly wood, pose extra risk on the jointer...if it doesn't feel comfortable..don't do it.
Myself, I'd use a sled on the bandsaw...and sander as Ted described...
Roger

Dennis McDonaugh
10-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Roger, Ted, thanks for the quick response. I was thinking the jointer was a bad idea and you guys confirmed it. I'll use the bandsaw and Performax to prepare it. This is the first time I've made a veneer from a burl and I don't know how well it'll stay together after it's cut. How thick should I resaw it?