PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice for a belt sander

David Perkins
10-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I’m in need of a new 3"X21" belt sander, my 22 year old craftsman just quit today. I was looking for some advice and possible preferences you have.
Thanks David

Jim Becker
10-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Although I RARELY use it...my Bosch 3"x21" belt sander is well made, light enought to not be a pain to use...and does what it was designed to do.

fRED mCnEILL
10-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a 3 in belt sander that is about the same vintage. But a few years ago I boulght a 4 in sander and haven't used the 3 in since(except on RARE occasions) The 4 in is certainly heavier than the smaller one but that hasn't been a problem. The 4 in sander is a Porter Cable that has worked fine.

Fred Mc.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Porter Cable--nuff said.:)

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-29-2006, 1:14 AM
I picked up the RIDGID heavy duty awhile back. The only bad thing I can say about it so far is the soft-start takes some getting used to.

KC

Neil Lamens
10-29-2006, 6:39 AM
Hey Dave:

I'm with Ron.......Porter cable.

3X21 is my size of choice. On my 2nd PC belt sander now in 30 years. I use mine all the time, believe its a good tool with the worst reputation.

Ken Garlock
10-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Although I RARELY use it...my Bosch 3"x21" belt sander is well made, light enought to not be a pain to use...and does what it was designed to do.

I agree.:) I like my Bosch belt sander.

Porter Cable:
I am hitting 50% on their entries into the power tool market.
I have their router motor for my woodpecker PRL, I does a fine job.
I have a 1/4 sheet sander that does a good job.
I have their jig saw which I hate, the blades are a real pain to change.
I have their trim router, a real pile of junk. I recently purchased a Bosch replacement that is much much better.
Future buys will not include Porter Cable.:(

Mark Singer
10-29-2006, 10:25 AM
The Bosch is the best...imho

Barry Bruner
10-29-2006, 2:46 PM
I`ve got the 4" P.C. its plenty powerful,but a bit heavy. Like others have said I seldom use it. I borrowed a Sears from work before I bought it , it didn`t have enough power to maintain the R.P.M.`s. Barry Bruner

Jeffrey Schronce
10-29-2006, 3:09 PM
I have a Makita 3 x 21 and it performs very well. I am especially impressed with its dust collection abilities. Of course as other have stated, it is a rarely used tool. Do you have a project that calls for the repeated use of a hand held sander that provides aggressive stock removal?

David Perkins
10-30-2006, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have gone and looked at the PC and Makita belt sanders. What a change in design. The woodworking show is coming in a few weeks I'll check out what they have there. I'm having trouble justifying $200.00 for a tool that only gets used maybe half a dozen times a year.
Thank you very much David