PDA

View Full Version : DC for combo sander

Bob Michaels
10-28-2006, 10:03 PM
My Jet combination disc/belt sander is connected to a 3 HP commercial oneida DC and it still covers me with dust, to the point that I really hate using the darn thing. I've been told over and over that this type of machine is generically not suited for efficient dust collection. I'm thinking of building a free standing cabinet around the sander with a heavy duty bathroom exhaust fan mounted in the back to draw the dust away before it comes forward and smothers me. The exhaust fan would be ducted to the Oneida DC unit. Any opinions or other solutions would be appreciated.

Travis Porter
10-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I have a Jet 12 disc 6/48 belt with a 3HP SG Oneida that does the same thing. One thing I had considered was piping straight to the belt exhaust and disc exhaust themselves instead of going through the built in tee that is installed on it. That way I could have them on separate gates. Something to consider if you can and haven't tried it.

Jim Becker
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Poor hoods will result in poor collection. And the factory ports are also very small...not so suitable for a DC that expects high volume rather than high static pressure. Improving things is going to take a bit of work. Frankly, I find my Festool CT22 or Ridgid shop vac more efficient on this machine. (I only use the belt...there is no dust hood on the disk of my Grizzly G1276 combo and it's an odd shape port that I have not had the gumption to try and deal with)

Bob Michaels
10-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Travis and Jim - thanks for your responses. I'm going to try my exhaust fan idea; will post results, but it may be a while. Has anyone actually conquered this issue.

Byron Trantham
10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Bob, I have the Delta counterpart and attach my Festool to it it works pretty well. One thing, my combo has a lever that direct/redirects what get the vacuum - disk or belt. Take a look to see if such a gate exists on yours.

glenn bradley
10-29-2006, 1:38 PM
I was hit with the same thing. bought my sander BEFORE I knew anything about dust collection. The dust port design alone would make me look at a different sander now that I've learned a small amount. I bought a "big gulp" hood. Many folks market them under various names. Basically a big funnel that terminates in a 4" duct fitting. I use this near my dreaded sander, when ROS sanding and sometimes just to clear the air if weather doesn't allow me to open the garage, er, uh, shop - door. They're about $20 at Rockler, Woodpecker, etc. and although very basic; they're quick and simple, you don't have to build a housing or wire up a bathroom fan.

BIG P.S. My shop vac works much better than my DC for my bench sander. . . more suck.

Bill Pentz
10-29-2006, 2:03 PM
My Jet combination disc/belt sander is connected to a 3 HP commercial oneida DC and it still covers me with dust, to the point that I really hate using the darn thing. I've been told over and over that this type of machine is generically not suited for efficient dust collection. I'm thinking of building a free standing cabinet around the sander with a heavy duty bathroom exhaust fan mounted in the back to draw the dust away before it comes forward and smothers me. The exhaust fan would be ducted to the Oneida DC unit. Any opinions or other solutions would be appreciated.

Bob,

As others said, I find I need to use my big Fein 18 gallon shop vac with my sander. It generates enough pressure that it produces the airspeed needed to provide good collection. Using even a big cyclone necked down to the small ports just does not cut it.

There are some interesting NIOSH recommendations to provide air strippers that further improve performance, but look a little impractical for most small shop and hobbyists. NIOSH Belt Sander (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hc4.html) NIOSH Disc Sander (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hc7.html)

bill