PDA

View Full Version : Chess Table

Lou Ferrarini
10-28-2006, 7:54 PM
Well,

Gave the new Rikon mini a break this weekend so I could make some progress with this. Still have to make the drawers, do the final sanding and finishing. Am thinking BLO and wipe on Poly.

Also played with some scraps to try and get the dovetails right.

Let me know what you think.

Jim W. White
10-28-2006, 9:36 PM
Beautiful, can't wait to see it finished! Are you going to turn peices for it?

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2006, 9:50 PM
Wow, that is going to be nice. Excellent!

Corey

Lou Ferrarini
10-29-2006, 6:50 AM
Beautiful, can't wait to see it finished! Are you going to turn peices for it?

Don't think I am ready for that yet. I am actually making this for a co-worker as my first consignment piece.

Lou Ferrarini
10-29-2006, 6:54 AM
OK, I have a question for you guys. There are two drawers for holding the chess pieces. I wanted to line them with something but I really don't want to use felt stuck on with contact cement. Any suggestions?

Greg Salata
10-29-2006, 6:54 AM
Looks great. Keep us posted on your project. I have been considering a similar project

Thanks for sharing your work,
GS

Mack Cameron
10-29-2006, 6:58 AM
OK, I have a question for you guys. There are two drawers for holding the chess pieces. I wanted to line them with something but I really don't want to use felt stuck on with contact cement. Any suggestions?
Crushed velvet comes in many colours and looks very rich!

Nancy Laird
10-29-2006, 9:03 AM

Lou,

Cut pieces of stiff cardboard just a smidge smaller than your drawer bottom, and cover the cardboard with the felt/crushed velvet/your fabric of choice. The fabric will make the piece a tight fit that won't move around and you/your customer can change it as wanted/needed. If you wish, you can secure the piece with double-faced tape, but it probably won't be necessary. You can even do the sides of the drawer box this way if you're ambitious.

Nancy

Larry Fox
10-29-2006, 9:07 AM
Lou, that is a very nice piece - outstanding work. That project is on the list of things I would like to build.

Rob Bodenschatz
10-29-2006, 9:13 AM
That looks incredible Lou. Nice work.

I just read about "flocking". Never done it and not sure if it's what you're going for but it's something to check out.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44669&cat=1,250,43298,43300

Chris Barton
10-29-2006, 9:14 AM

Hi Lou,

One of the flocking kits comes to mind. Woodcraft, PSI and others have this. It is much better looking (usually) than attempts to fit cloth to the compartment. Also, just a heads up; it looks like you used some Paduk in your accents on the table. Paduk will change color to a dark, rich brown within a year. To my knowledge, nothing will prevent this. Sam Maloof has commented about his selection of Paduk in some of his early work and that he was unaware of this at the time. I also have had firsthand experience with this. I built a Federal style side table of Paduk and other materials about 2 years ago and it was almost crimson to begin with. Now it's a golden brown color...

Al Willits
10-29-2006, 9:32 AM
Pretty nice table, congrats.
I do like the contrasting woods.

Personal choice, but I wonder if three smaller dovetails might look better/different??

Just wished I still played chess so I could try to make something like that. Very impressive, and thanks for posting.

Al

john whittaker
10-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Lou, Great looking chess table. Did you use a plan? If so...please tell us where you got it.

Very nice work.

Lou Ferrarini
10-30-2006, 8:17 AM
Hi Lou,

Also, just a heads up; it looks like you used some Paduk in your accents on the table. Paduk will change color to a dark, rich brown within a year. To my knowledge, nothing will prevent this. Sam Maloof has commented about his selection of Paduk in some of his early work and that he was unaware of this at the time. I also have had firsthand experience with this. I built a Federal style side table of Paduk and other materials about 2 years ago and it was almost crimson to begin with. Now it's a golden brown color...

Actually, I used Bloodwood for the accents. The table and dark squares are African Mahogany and the white squares are Maple.

Lou Ferrarini
10-30-2006, 8:18 AM
Lou, Great looking chess table. Did you use a plan? If so...please tell us where you got it.

Very nice work.

No plan, I got the basic dimensions from a few tables I saw on the internet and designed the rest myself.

Lou Ferrarini
10-30-2006, 8:20 AM
Thought I saw something a while back about some kind of foam you cold press the pieces in and it would retain the shape. Anyone heard of this?

Kelly C. Hanna
10-30-2006, 9:33 AM
Very nicely done!!!