PDA

View Full Version : Lathes at TX BBQ?

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-23-2003, 7:12 PM
I believe I read that Mr Arbuckle is taking his mini-lathe to Steve's BBQ. I think I'll bring mine, too...along with 10 or 12 small mesquite blanks for anyone that might be interested in chucking up a bowl. I'm not sure there's anything better to learn on than mesquite...it'll spoil you. I'll also bring my NOVA chuck and the few chisels I use for bowls. If I remember to do it tomorrow, I'll cut up some pen blanks and bring them along. We'll leave tomorrow evening and drive to Waco, then on to Dallas Saturday morning.

I dunno how Steve's set for bench space, but since turning is pretty popular nowadays, I'd suspect we could keep more than two lathes busy. Don't wanna butt in and spoil any of the host's plans...so speak up Steve!

KC

Ace Karner
10-24-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm absolutely new to turning but I will bring my mini and tools so that maybe I can be taught something.
can hardly wait

Mike Mastin
10-24-2003, 8:04 AM
I will be bringing a JET 1236 for someone to demo/use.

Steve Jenkins
10-24-2003, 8:07 AM
we may have wall to wall lathes. That's not a bad thing. I think we can accomodate things pretty well. We may not have everyone at the optimum height but we can rig up enough room to set them up.If anyone wants to bring along something they have made (not just lathe work) just to show that would be great. Sophie and Becky arrived here last evening and Dave and Sandy Smith are camped just north of town.Up near Lee Patz's place. See you all later today or tomorrow. Steve (still cleaning)

Dave Arbuckle
10-24-2003, 1:03 PM
I'm actually not planning to bring my lathe, but I'm bringing a SuperNova chuck in case a spare is needed. My new small car's trunk is pretty loaded just getting the FMT and some burger makings in it.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Dave

Phil Phelps
10-24-2003, 10:29 PM
I'm takin' my planer and do some real work :cool:

Dave Smith
10-24-2003, 11:27 PM
I plan to do some turning and some learning. Brought alone some bigleaf maple for plates and platters. Been hauling this mini under the bed for over a week and haven't turned a thing. Spent some time with Wally Dickerman and never turned on his lathe. I need to shred some wood.

And, KC I think the wood you are bringing is mine. Well at least I wish it was mine. Hey buddy can you spare some mesquite? It don't grow too good on the wet side of the mountains in WA.

Dave Smith

A long way from Longview, WA.