PDA

View Full Version : Compressors

Steve Schoene
02-25-2003, 1:36 PM
Are there any compressors that will provide an honest 7.0 delivered cfm at 90 psi, AND still run on 110 volt power. That would run a moderate selection of HVLP guns down the road but still be convenient (if overkill) for running a nailer for a remodeling project coming up.

I could just get a small pancake for a nailer, and wait until needed for a larger compressor tailored for spraying.

Or I could go ahead and get the last compressor I'll ever need (in the range of 14 cfm @ 90 psi.) I'm a bit inclined this way, If I have to put up with the hassle of using 220 power for the remodel project then I might as well get the most out of the "tool acquisition project". (220 only available in basement, when I run the new circuit from the box--project is second floor.)

Mike Brewster
02-25-2003, 2:00 PM
Steve,

I was in a similar situation a while back. I'm doing a lot of construction and I had a large 220 compressor...but no 220.

I hated to do it, but I went ahead and bought a small pancake. Now I don't know how I did without it. I take it lots of places. I'd buy a cheaper small one now and a bigger one later.

Mike

William Parks
02-25-2003, 2:05 PM
Steve,

I fought this same problem for a year (in the meantime I kept borrowing my neighbors portable compressor). Last weekend I bit the bullet and made a decision. I bought an I/R 60 gallon vertical compressor (runs on 220v). This will be plenty of air for spraying finishes, the occassional air tool (impact wrench, sander) and general shop use. When I looked at the price for the 110v models, it just seemed to make sense for me to pay the extra for a stationary model and be done with it. Harbor Freight had the I/R for $480, but they also had a similiar model by Campbell Hausfield for about $100 less.

Paul Kunkel
02-25-2003, 2:52 PM
get the BIG one and buy enough hose to get you where you need the air. I have a small noisey one I hardly ever use. I prefer to roll out 300 ft of hose from the shop to the garage or house. Never even hear the compressor:D

William Parks
02-25-2003, 2:59 PM
Steve,

I fought this same problem for a year (in the meantime I kept borrowing my neighbors portable compressor). Last weekend I bit the bullet and made a decision. I bought an I/R 60 gallon vertical compressor (runs on 220v). This will be plenty of air for spraying finishes, the occassional air tool (impact wrench, sander) and general shop use. When I looked at the price for the 110v models, it just seemed to make sense for me to pay the extra for a stationary model and be done with it. Harbor Freight had the I/R for $480, but they also had a similiar model by Campbell Hausfield for about $100 less.

Rob Russell
02-25-2003, 3:46 PM
I've got a Campbell Hausfeld, 20 gallon rollaround with a "4.5 Hp" (wink, wink) motor. It does around 6.3 or 6.4 @ 90 and 6.9 @ 40. I bought an Asturo HVLP gun and have a pressure pot to run off of this, but hven't used the gun yet. We used the pot and a conventional gun to spray ML Campbell Magnalac lacquer and it worked fine.

I know this compressor doesn't have the air to drive an inline sander, but that's not a concern to me.

Is something like that "good engouh" or do you really need to spend the bux for either a 220v unit or a 2-stage?