PDA

View Full Version : My lathe stand

Nancy Laird
10-28-2006, 5:17 PM
I thought that you might want to see the lathe stand that LOML built for my mini.

Here it is ready to use:

And here it is ready to put to bed for the night:

The platform for the lathe is attached to a sewing-machine lift which locks into place when the lathe is up. The lathe is heavy enough that it needs a little help up and down, but it works.

When the lathe is "put to bed", the entire stand will slide under the bench out of the way of the rest of the things that might be going on.

The lathe is a Woodtek Midi-Lathe, 6 speed (500-3,975) cast-iron head and tail stock and bed, 10" swing, 15" between centers. It weighs 87 lbs.

What do you think?

Nancy

And yes, it's been well used - I just vacuumed up the shavings for the pictures.

Ernie Nyvall
10-28-2006, 5:54 PM
Now that's cool Nancy. An ingenious idea. I like the looks of that lathe too... stocky little feller. Is the lathe table top held up just from the back? If so, it seems like it would eventually come loose, however you could clamp blocks under the front when in use or bring some sliding 1" dowells from the side... Just to relieve some pressure. Course I could be looking at it wrong.

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2006, 6:02 PM
That is just too cool. Neat idea!

Corey

Nancy Laird
10-28-2006, 6:48 PM
Now that's cool Nancy. An ingenious idea. I like the looks of that lathe too... stocky little feller. Is the lathe table top held up just from the back? If so, it seems like it would eventually come loose, however you could clamp blocks under the front when in use or bring some sliding 1" dowells from the side... Just to relieve some pressure. Course I could be looking at it wrong.

No, Ernie, the lift has a very stocky and sturdy \_/-shaped piece coming out horizontally from the upright that supports the lathe table almost to the front edge (can't see it in the picture). We got the lift from Rockler years ago and never used it for my sewing machine. You can see it here: http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=2&TabSelect=Details

Glad you like it, and yes, the lathe is pretty stocky.

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2006, 6:50 PM
Excellent idea and bench/stand Nancy!!!! Looks very well made and a nice place for a lathe. :D

John Miliunas
10-28-2006, 7:03 PM
"A place for everything and everything in its place." That's pretty cool and functional. Neat idea and well done. Compliments to the LOYL! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-28-2006, 7:03 PM
Looks sturdy and that's a great "storage" idea, Nancy!

Bob Noles
10-28-2006, 7:09 PM
Nancy,

That is about the most ingenius design I have seen yet. Absolutely brilliant idea and a great space saver. I can see all kinds of multi-use ideas that can be incoporated into it as well as the storage benefit.

I like it a lot.

Pete Jordan
10-28-2006, 7:19 PM
Nancy,

That looks great! Brilliant idea!

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2006, 8:05 PM
Nancy that is a good looking bench. Great idea.

Nancy Laird
10-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. My hubby designed and built this stand, so he deserves the credit. We sure do like it.

Tony Kent
10-29-2006, 1:25 AM
Nancy
That is just awesome. What a great idea and to use something you already had too.
Nice lathe too:)
Take care for now,
Tony

Frank Fusco
10-29-2006, 1:11 PM
Very clever, nifty design. I hate to be the one critic in the crowd, but I do wonder....there doesn't seem to be enough room at the bottom for feet. Can you stand close enough to the lathe to work comfortably?

Nancy Laird
10-29-2006, 2:07 PM
Very clever, nifty design. I hate to be the one critic in the crowd, but I do wonder....there doesn't seem to be enough room at the bottom for feet. Can you stand close enough to the lathe to work comfortably?

Frank, There is a little toe kick under the bottom shelf, but I find that I stand a little further out and don't use it. I haven't run into any problems thus far.

Nancy