PDA

View Full Version : New work table

Matt Meiser
10-28-2006, 5:12 PM
In my effort to make my shop more multi-purpose, I decided that my old wood assembly table had to go. The replacement is shown below. I was all set to build a 4x4 table and offered up my old table for free. The guy who took it offered me the base of this table in exchange for some of the shorts I was getting rid of. It is 1/4" thick angle construction with a 1/8" plate shelf on the bottom. The old top was really beat up, so I picked up a piece of 3/8" thick $teel plate that is 36x48 and welded it to the base. The vise is a cheap one from Harbor Freight and can swivel 360 degrees in two axes. I attached the vise with large bolts and wing nuts so that I can remove it and throw a sheet of MDF over the top for a woodworking assembly table.

Tyler Howell
10-28-2006, 5:52 PM
MAAAAAATT!!!
MAAAAATT!!
The wood is calling you. Come back to WW.
We miss you in wood chips
Nice table:D

Chuck Hanger
10-28-2006, 6:48 PM
Nice welding table Matt. Nice vise also, except if you put any metal in it you might upset your table:) . For the steel that you are going to bend in that vise you will have to have a torch set.:D Just welded up some 4' stars for Christmas decorations yesterday. First welding I had done in probably 5 years. Had a couple of wire tags, if you know what I mean;) .

Have fun,
Chuck

Matt Meiser
10-28-2006, 8:31 PM
Welding the top on the table was the first welding I've done in probably 6-7 years. I couldn't believe how well it went, so I have to credit my new welder.

Tyler, I'll make something out of wood soon enough. :D

Jim Becker
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice job, Matt. Looks like a very versatile table!

David Rose
10-29-2006, 1:05 AM
Matt, what did the top weigh? I'll bet you couldn't tip that table over any way you tried. :D

David

lou sansone
10-29-2006, 5:50 AM
nice table. I think in a perfect shop, there would be some room for metal working. lou

Chuck Hanger
10-29-2006, 6:11 AM
Hi again Matt,
Just a word of caution. Metal working and wood working can go together in many projects, but not in the same room. Metal dust (from grinding, etc) will stain some woods when you try to wipe it off. If anything try to vac up. Just my experience.

Will really be a very handy table for you.
Chuck

Matt Meiser
10-29-2006, 9:17 AM
Matt, what did the top weigh? I'll bet you couldn't tip that table over any way you tried.

The top itself is about 160lbs. I think the base was close to that, but I didn't figure it out. I tried lifting up on one edge of the table to see how stable it was--its not going anywhere.

If anything try to vac up. Just my experience.

My lumber is stored in a different room so hopefully that will be sufficient. I anticipate having to do a thorough cleaning between projects to avoid issues.

Randal Stevenson
10-29-2006, 9:48 AM
How tall is it not counting the casters (just the legs)?
Did you already have the casters?

thanks

Matt Meiser
10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
The base came with the casters. Including them, it is about 32" high.

Bill Ryall
10-29-2006, 1:23 PM
"Just a word of caution. Metal working and wood working can go together in many projects, but not in the same room. Metal dust (from grinding, etc) will stain some woods when you try to wipe it off."

Don't forget sparks from cutting/grinding. They don't mix well with loose sawdust. DAMHIKT

glenn bradley
10-29-2006, 1:26 PM
Way to dual-purpose Matt! I'm thinkin' that table will outlast us all.

Al Willits
10-29-2006, 2:25 PM
Bet a 4x4, 5x4 or so torsion table would sit quite nicely on top of that table.

Other than aluminum, that's close to what I'm using for a roll a round table, torsion table just sits on top of mine.

Does look sturdy....:)

Al