PDA

View Full Version : Watco Teak Oil & Cherry

Jim Guy
10-28-2006, 5:12 PM
I'm finishing up a couple of what I call wall lanterns.
The wood is cherry.
I've put on two coats of Watco Teak Oil and love the color.
However I would really like to have a little more of a shine.
I've never worked with this finish before and I'm not certain what I can and can't do. After a few days, can I apply paste wax or is there another finish that will not change the color but add just a bit of a satin look.
Since these will be on the wall they will almost never be touched.
Thanks in advance.

Gary Keedwell
10-28-2006, 5:26 PM
Jim,

Maybe the finish forum can help but I would try some shellac. Shellac will give it a nice warm patina. Or maybe spray some lacquer on it and rub it out.

Gary K.

Mark Singer
10-28-2006, 7:27 PM
Jim,
I would try more coats

Howard Acheson
10-29-2006, 10:31 AM
There is little difference between standard Watco Danish Oil and their Teak Oil product. The Teak oil contains about half tung oil and half linseed oil while the Danish oil contains all linseed oil. From a performance point of view, the teak oil will be a little lilghter in color.

That said, do not expect much gloss from teak oil. You need a film forming finish rather than a penetrating finish. You can certainly over coat the teak oil with a film finish. If you let the teak oil fully dry for a month, you can use lacquer. You can overcoat with an oil based varnish or poly varnish after about 4-5 days. A couple of coats of a thinned wiping varnish would be easy and more than durable enough for your project.