PDA

View Full Version : NAICS Classification for laser businesses?

Ed Maloney
10-28-2006, 1:48 PM
Slightly off topic...

Since these laser systems can do just about anything, what North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) would cover a such a business? I would like to be diversified at first while learning the ropes to see what sells and what doesn't. For instance, there are alot of sign and trophy shops around my area, so I will most likely stay away from those lines.

Dave Chase
11-02-2006, 7:56 PM
I imagine a laser house could be considered a job shop. I'm pretty sure there is a classification for those in there....

Joe Pelonio
11-03-2006, 8:39 AM
I went through this when I got the laser. I had in the past always been
339950, sign manufacturing, that still covers the sign work but only the small percentage of sign work that I do on the laser.

Our lasers are so versatile that they defy specific classification.

323119 is Job Printing and Engraving, which is printing without publishing and doesn't really fit many laser items.

339999 is misc. manufacturing, which would cover most of what I do on the laser, manufacturing items for wholesalers that do not fit any other category.

If you are doing mostly advertising specialties, logos on pens, keychains etc. then it's 541890

Then 33914, personal goods/novelty manufacture looks like it might fit some items but 316993 might too.

Ed Maloney
11-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Joe - Thanks again for your help and advice. The versatility of the laser can't really be nailed down to one code. I must have spent over an hour looking through all the codes and not one really fit everything. I'll probably just pick one and go with it, probably the novelty one. I'm sure the government is really interested in the taxes rather than the accuracy of the description.

Ed