PDA

View Full Version : PC8529 on Sale

Tyler Howell
10-23-2003, 6:00 PM
Wood Masters,
:confused: Question for you all. Rockler has a PC8529 on sale for $175.00 with all the rebates. It’s a 2hp plunge router and offers a Micro adjust for above table bit changes. Any one have any experience with this unit and is the set-up adequate for full operation with out an additional raising unit???

Thanks. You've never failed to give all the info I've needed in the past. Money is burning a hole in my pocket.
Thanks

Tyler

Mike Cutler
10-23-2003, 6:30 PM
Tyler. I bought this router on closeout at Home Depot about a month ago and it is a really nice router. I have it mounted in a table saw extension wing and adjust the bit height with a 1/4" drive, deepwell, 8 mm socket from above the table and it works just great. I have found no need for an after market raising system as of yet. To remove the bit I have to reach under the table and engage the collet lock and manipulate the wrench from above. usually I just lift the router and the plate up and change the bit above the table. The only complaint is, that the collet wrench is kind of cheesey and the collets don't have the safety stop that my Milwaukee Body Grip has.I realize that these are small shortcomings and really aren't significant, just observations. The router is also very easy to control by hand, which surprised me.

Gene Collison
10-23-2003, 6:35 PM
Tyler. I bought this router on closeout at Home Depot about a month ago and it is a really nice router. I have it mounted in a table saw extension wing and adjust the bit height with a 1/4" drive, deepwell, 8 mm socket from above the table and it works just great. I have found no need for an after market raising system as of yet. To remove the bit I have to reach under the table and engage the collet lock and manipulate the wrench from above. usually I just lift the router and the plate up and change the bit above the table. The only complaint is, that the collet wrench is kind of cheesey and the collets don't have the safety stop that my Milwaukee Body Grip has.I realize that these are small shortcomings and really aren't significant, just observations. The router is also very easy to control by hand, which surprised me.

Mike, not to hijack this guys thread but what do you mean when you say the Milwaukee collets have a safety stop?

Gene

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-23-2003, 7:49 PM
Mike, not to hijack this guys thread but what do you mean when you say the Milwaukee collets have a safety stop?

Gene

I'm not sure, but he may be talking about the feature where when you initially loosen the collet, it's not really loose. There's a second 'stop' after that that you loosen again before the bit is free. Does that make sense? The DeWalts have it.

KC

Jim Becker
10-23-2003, 7:59 PM
I'm not sure, but he may be talking about the feature where when you initially loosen the collet, it's not really loose. There's a second 'stop' after that that you loosen again before the bit is free. Does that make sense? The DeWalts have it.

KC

Both my PC 7529 and 7518 have collets that have this "feature"...as a matter of fact, it's a common "problem" that gets posted in forums when someone can't get their bits out !

Scott Coffelt
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
My 8529 has that same feature. You loosen and try to pull the bit, then realize you have to untighten more before it will actually release. Great router, but I use it as a hand router only. Still trying to figure out the micro adjust, but other than that I am really impressed. It moved from my fourth router (third hand held) into the number one handheld router I will grab for. I have a M12V in a cabinet, so I do not know how it will work in the cabinet. I think you may also be able to find at Lowes for $159 and a rebate.

Mike Cutler
10-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Gene the "Safety Stop" on My Milwaukee is exactly what Kirk described in his post. I found it very annoying at first but after "accidently" testing the feature one nite I saw the use for it.I had meant to adjust the bit and got distracted and forgot to retighten it, then tried to make another pass with the router everything just kinda vibrated and shook a lot. That being said I still like the PC 8529 and don't think that not having this feature detracts from it's overall value.

Gene Collison
10-24-2003, 4:14 PM
Gene the "Safety Stop" on My Milwaukee is exactly what Kirk described in his post. I found it very annoying at first but after "accidently" testing the feature one nite I saw the use for it.I had meant to adjust the bit and got distracted and forgot to retighten it, then tried to make another pass with the router everything just kinda vibrated and shook a lot. That being said I still like the PC 8529 and don't think that not having this feature detracts from it's overall value.

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification, I have the bigger Milwaukee and never quite looked at it that way. I see what you mean, it is a safety feature! Thanks...

Gene

Dennis Peacock
10-24-2003, 6:55 PM
Wood Masters,
:confused: Question for you all. Rockler has a PC8529 on sale for $175.00 with all the rebates. It’s a 2hp plunge router and offers a Micro adjust for above table bit changes. Any one have any experience with this unit and is the set-up adequate for full operation with out an additional raising unit???

Thanks. You've never failed to give all the info I've needed in the past. Money is burning a hole in my pocket.
Thanks

Tyler

Tyler,

The local HD had these on clearance. I bought mine for $99 and walked away happy. I have used the router a LOT since the purchase and like it better than my M12V. Check around, you CAN find them cheaper than the stated $179.

Peter Stahl
10-25-2003, 8:10 AM
Tyler,

The local HD had these on clearance. I bought mine for $99 and walked away happy. I have used the router a LOT since the purchase and like it better than my M12V. Check around, you CAN find them cheaper than the stated $179.

Dennis,

Could you tell where I could get one for <$179 w/ rebates. I missed the clearence at Home Depot & all our Lowes in the area had 7529's. Would like to get a 8529 (or 2) cheep. Really surprised PC is dicounting these routers.

thanks, Pete

Lynn Sonier
10-25-2003, 9:32 AM
I picked up a Milwaukee router for a very good price on ubid.com. It was reconditioned but I mounted in in a table and really like it. I release the lock, press the button, and the router drops out so I can change bits. Its also easy to slip back into the base. Its a pain to have to put the wrench to the collet twice but I haven't had a bit slip (yet).

Tyler Howell
10-26-2003, 11:45 PM
[Masters,

Took the plunge literally. Rockler threw in the micro adjustment knob (for through the table adjustment) as part of their “ROCTOBERFEST”. After getting 10 and 20% off of some odds and ends I couldn’t live with out, I would say it was a pretty good hall. Besides the Vikings were getting beat pretty bad and there is nothing like a tool shopping trip to lift the spirits.
Fired the 8529 up tonight and dug into some hardwood. This is going to be sweet for some kitchen cabinets I’m making.
Thanks for the advice.

TJH
:cool:

Peter Stahl
10-27-2003, 10:38 AM
[Masters,

Took the plunge literally. Rockler threw in the micro adjustment knob (for through the table adjustment) as part of their “ROCTOBERFEST”. After getting 10 and 20% off of some odds and ends I couldn’t live with out, I would say it was a pretty good hall. Besides the Vikings were getting beat pretty bad and there is nothing like a tool shopping trip to lift the spirits.
Fired the 8529 up tonight and dug into some hardwood. This is going to be sweet for some kitchen cabinets I’m making.
Thanks for the advice.

TJH
:cool:

TJH,

I'm guessing this is a in store sale. The web site show a sale price of $204. What kind of rebate did you get?

thanks, Pete