PDA

View Full Version : Dirty tools & Dirty paper

George Sanders
10-28-2006, 7:02 AM
I went on a rust hunt last week and bought 3 drawknives and a scraper. I returned to the same place this week with the intent of buying 3 more items I couldn't really afford last week. Much to my surprise some other galoot beat me to them! Drat!:mad: I did get to look in the back room and found 3 chisels: a long thin Lakeside, a shorter Winchester, and a really good maker unknown firmer. The 2 top drawknives are Witherby and the lower one is G. Raby. The scraper is marked "The L.S.Starrett Co." (didn't know they ever made scrapers). I also found an Atkins saw jointer and some good bits for my brace. :) I think the real prize is the Disston manual published in 1930 that still had the price guide and postcards.

Ken Werner
10-28-2006, 6:23 PM
Cool gloat!

Ken

George Sanders
10-29-2006, 5:52 AM
The antique dealer has some nice spokeshaves but he is all over the board on prices. I asked his wife if he had priced the stuff in the back room and she said "You can lead a horse to water..." She suggested I go pick out what I liked and make an offer. Didn"t have to tell me twice. I came out with the chisels, bits, saw jointer and Disston paper for $25. I have no shame! :rolleyes:

Greg Salata
10-29-2006, 7:38 AM
Nice haul.
Definately gloat worthy.;)