PDA

View Full Version : Vaneer

Reg Mitchell
10-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Dose anyone know of an iron on vaneer and where it might be purched. Seems like I read about it somewhere befor but not really sure or maybe I am dreaming. :eek:
Reg

Mike Henderson
10-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Are you looking for edging or for something that you can cover a large surface with?

I've never used it but I've heard of glue that is heat activated. I think it comes in sheets and you put it between the veneer and the substrate. From what I've read, it's somewhat expensive.

You can iron on veneer, especially paper backed veneer, using PVA glue. People who do it recommend that you put at least two layers of glue on both the veneer and the substrate, then let it dry, and then iron it on. I've had more luck doing it with the glue not dry - that is, I used the iron to dry the glue and stick the veneer on. It has to be very stable veneer to do this. If the veneer is not, it'll go wild when you put the iron on it and you'll have a mess on your hands. That's why I recommend paper backed veneer for the iron on process - that stuff is stable but the veneer is VERY thin - it's really easy to sand through.

But what I really recommend is to ask for help from a fellow creeker who is near you and has the equipment to do veneer - then just apply it the regular way, with PVA or urea formalyde.

Mike

Phil Winn
10-28-2006, 1:13 AM
RM,
Rockler,
www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com)
sells some "hot melt adhesive", part # 50484, which you use an iron to activate. I have never used the stuff, but....
Good luck,
Phil