PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Pen (Spalted Pecan)

Christopher K. Hartley
10-27-2006, 9:51 PM
It is a Robusto from The Woodcraft Store. I just used some scrap from my Spalted Pecan Bowl to see how it wood turn out. Not knowing anything about pens I'm open to constructive criticism. :)

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Chris, that is nice pen and a cool piece of wood. I think you did very well. I think the lower blank was left a little to pudgy. I would have made it slimmer to match the top a little better. It flairs out a little to much. It is a nice pen for a first one though that is for sure. Keep'em coming.
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Chris you did a good job on the pen. Love the wood you used. My only comment is I would have made it slightly slimmer. Nice job.

Frank Fusco
10-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Your work looks great and that wood is a knock-out. As long as there is enough left to make a pen, it is never "scrap". They do look a bit fat and may not be a good fit for everybody's hand. But, 'fat' pens do have a place. My hands are not big but, for whatever reason, fatter pens are more comfortable for me.

Dario Octaviano
10-28-2006, 10:37 AM
As mentioned...you did really good on your first pen. It is too fat and the fit is not the best yet but that is okay. You can save this and fix it later if you wish...or do as most and save it as a remembrance :)

The wood is stunning!

Travis White
10-28-2006, 11:47 AM
That is a good first. The profile is a little bigger than I prefer, but that is personal. Just keep working on your finish.

Rick Doyle
10-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Looks great to me! Nice job!

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Chris,

Nice job on the first pen. I think you did good on your first pen. Certainly much better than my first one. :)

Critique: While each person is their own "artist"? I would say that the pen is fine, it's just that the bottom part of the pen is fatter than the top part of the pen, making the pen look out of balance. The looks and feel of a pen goes a long way to people wanting them or just look "at" them. Sanding through 8,000 or 12,000 grit on pens is not unusual.

Congrats and well done sir. :D

Mark Pruitt
10-28-2006, 1:38 PM
Looks great Chris. I like the fat ones. (Pens that is.):D

Keith Christopher
10-28-2006, 1:54 PM
I agree with Dennis, that being said I love the wood and the finish! Not too crazy about the proportions but it is a very nice pen ! Can't wait to see more !

Christopher K. Hartley
10-28-2006, 7:56 PM
Thanks everyone, thickness duly noted and will be changed on the next one. I really do appreciate the honesty.:)

Tom Sherman
10-28-2006, 9:29 PM
Chris I think your pen is pretty good my first was out of spalted maple and looks ridiculous. The wood you chose is first rate and your work is fine.

Ernie Nyvall
10-29-2006, 12:27 AM
You found some nice wood for the pen Chris. I agree with others about the proportions, but it's a great first pen.