PDA

View Full Version : Procedure

Byron Trantham
10-23-2003, 4:08 PM
I'm making a cabinet 6 1/2' long by 30" high from melamine. I'm going to use euro hinges for the first time. Should I try to mount the hinges before I assemble the carcass or after? It would seem that drilling the holes for the carcass would be easier while the panels are horizontal. The carcass gets the mounting plate which requires two screws and drilling down is easier than drilling in a horizontal mode. Further, it would seem that holding these little merfers in place on melamine would be problematic.

mike malone
10-23-2003, 5:05 PM
I'm making a cabinet 6 1/2' long by 30" high from melamine. I'm going to use euro hinges for the first time. Should I requires two screws and drilling down is easier than drilling in a horizontal mode. Further, it would seem that holding these little merfers in place on melamine would be problematic.

hi byron
i always install the hinge clips after the cabinet is mounted. it is simply a matter of scribing a vertical pencil line as to where the screw holes should be and the use the clip as a template to mark the holes on that line. NOTE if installing shelf standards remember to keep the front standard far enough to the rear so it doesn't interfere with mounting the hinge clips!!! DAMHIKT.
good luck
mike

Dennis McDonaugh
10-23-2003, 5:07 PM
Byron,

I always put the hinges on the doors first, then I attach the carcas hinges and loosen the adjusters. Finally I attach the doors and tighten the adjusters. I do it that way because I put the hinges the same distance from the top and bottom of the door. Then I measure the distance between the hinges on the door and use that measurement to mount them on the carcas. Having said that, I don't see anything wrong with doing it the other way around.

mike malone
10-23-2003, 5:12 PM
I'm making a cabinet 6 1/2' long by 30" high from melamine. I'm going to use euro hinges for the first time. Should I try to mount the hinges before I assemble the carcass or after? It would seem that drilling the holes for the carcass would be easier while the panels are horizontal. The carcass gets the mounting plate which requires two screws and drilling down is easier than drilling in a horizontal mode. Further, it would seem that holding these little merfers in place on melamine would be problematic.

byron..BTW..6-1/2' long cabinet is AWFUL long!! Euro style usually make cabinets 30-36" max...maybe 48". rarely larger (wider). In your case (78"), it would be better to make 2 cabinets 39" wide....which is still a long span for a shelf (sag). The door, when opened would extend out 19" when opened...which is a lot. personally i'd make 2-24" cabs and 1-30" cabinet. The downside is there are a lot more hinges required.
regards
mike

Rob Russell
10-24-2003, 9:24 AM
Large commercial shops would drill the stiles for the hinge plates before assembly. There are machines specifically designed for this, for example the Blum Multi-Press.

If you want to drill after assembly, consider spending the money for one of the hinge plate drill guides. For Blum hinges, it's part number 65.9000 if you're using the Compact series hinges. These plates are nothing more than a metal plate with holes in the proper places. Saves holding those "merfers" in place :-). You could make up your own drill jig if you wanted to. Whether you buy or make one, I'd definitely go the jig route rather than trying to hold a hinge in place - accurately - to mark/drill holes.

Rob

Byron Trantham
10-24-2003, 9:51 AM
byron..BTW..6-1/2' long cabinet is AWFUL long!! Euro style usually make cabinets 30-36" max...maybe 48". rarely larger (wider). In your case (78"), it would be better to make 2 cabinets 39" wide....which is still a long span for a shelf (sag). The door, when opened would extend out 19" when opened...which is a lot. personally i'd make 2-24" cabs and 1-30" cabinet. The downside is there are a lot more hinges required.
regards
mike

You're right on all counts. However, the unit is divided into ~19" segments. There Will be four doors and three divider panels and two end panels.. Truth is I am trying to duplicate cabinets already in the Doctor's office. The shelves are about 18" wide, safe width. I'm going hire Godzilla to move and install the thing! :D

Byron Trantham
10-24-2003, 9:55 AM
hi byron
i always install the hinge clips after the cabinet is mounted. it is simply a matter of scribing a vertical pencil line as to where the screw holes should be and the use the clip as a template to mark the holes on that line. NOTE if installing shelf standards remember to keep the front standard far enough to the rear so it doesn't interfere with mounting the hinge clips!!! DAMHIKT.
good luck
mike

Mike, believe it or not, I did think of that AFTER I drilled all my 1/4" holes for the shelf pins! Major panic until realized that the mounting plate is well below or above the hole pattern. They wanted only one shelf so the pattern is centered well away from the plates. Now I could tell you I planned for this but...... ;)