PDA

View Full Version : DW RAS $50, worth it?

Neville Stewart
10-27-2006, 5:57 PM
THis probably needs brushes & a refurb, are they any good if straight & salvageable? tia Neville

John Bailey
10-27-2006, 7:26 PM
If that's the old 9" from DeWalt, it's worth every penney of $50. I've got one and I love it. At 9" it won't do everything, but I crosscut, miter, rip, and dado. I've got a glue-line blade on it and it has done everything I've asked of it. The best thing about it is it's easy to set-up and stays set-up. I used a Craftsman for about 20 yrs. I liked the Craftsman, I did a lot of projects, but I had to constantly adjust it. The DeWalt has been in my shop for over a year now and I've had to adjust it one time.

John

Frank Fusco
10-28-2006, 9:44 AM
The old DeWalts were built to last longer than the pyramids. Refurb and enjoy.

Alan DuBoff
10-28-2006, 9:59 AM
Worth is something that is opinion, and what something is worth to someone else is not often the same.

To me it looks worth it, but you need to decide for yourself.

If you bought that and it needed a new motor, would it be worth it? Can I or the next person tell if it needs a new motor? Are the bearings good? Are there any hidden cracks in the casing? There are a lot of things that could require $$$s and time to fix, and time is $$$s afterall. Typically they don't require much work to put into working condition, but seeing a picture of it is in no way representative of that work. My $0.02.

The bottom line is, do you need/want a RAS? If so, is it worth $50 for you to have it? If so, buy it. Pretty simple.:p

Per Swenson
10-28-2006, 10:52 AM
It's worth 50 bucks sure.

I have paid more for lawn and driveway ornaments.

The 1960 willys rust bucket I bought to restore,

became one such ornament.

The value of a tool is proportionate to the space it takes up

and your love of a bargain. If I had more space I would take two.

Per