PDA

View Full Version : First Pen

Rusty Smith
10-27-2006, 4:55 PM
Here is my first, second and third pens (left to right). Considering that up until two nights ago I had never spun anything on any lathe I am pretty pleased with the results even though the blanks I have do not match too well.

Mark Pruitt
10-27-2006, 5:07 PM
Rusty, good job and welcome to SMC! I'm sure you're going to be cranking out more pens when people around you see these. Nice background too.:)

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 6:17 PM
Looking good. Like most you began with Slimlines. It is a very versitile style. For your next, try not using the centerband and give a little 'shape' to the pen. As for photography, while props and background can enhance the picture, remember the pen is the focal point. Avoid backgrounds that overwhelm the subject.

Bart Leetch
10-27-2006, 7:18 PM
Heck Rusty

You did good made some great pens (spinny stuff is good) & then you capped if off by posting pictures, man you off & rollin:eek: or spinnin :D to be correct.

Good job on the pens.:D :D :D

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2006, 8:25 PM
Most excellent Rusty!!!!!

Welcome to SMC and I'm glad you made it on the forum. Nice pens buddy!!!!!:D

Christopher K. Hartley
10-27-2006, 9:59 PM
Welcome Rusty! These look great to me. Keep the pics coming.:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Rusty those are some beauties. You did a nice jobe for you first pens. Welcome to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Good looking pens Rusty! You did great.... now you will be hooked!

Corey

Tom Sherman
10-28-2006, 7:08 AM
Good job Rusty, pens are a sleeper, they'll draw you deeper and deeper into the abyss.

Bob Noles
10-28-2006, 9:08 AM
Rusty,

Welcome to SMC. Those are some fine looking "first" pens you have shared with us on your first vist. The fit and finish look perfect from the pictures. You are well on your way and no looking back now :D

Travis White
10-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Those are good first pens! You should see my first pens, they are very not nice.

Bill Boehme
10-28-2006, 4:33 PM
Welcome to the vortex and to the the creek, Rusty. Those are nice pens. I second what Frank said about the photography --until I looked at the large image, it sorta' looked like the bird was in jail :eek:. Another option on the slimlines in addition to what Frank said is now there are slimline kits with a bigger band available -- I forget what they are called -- maybe "pudgy" slimline pens. It will allow you to give the pen some "heft" which men prefer, however, the ladies usually like the slimmer more delicate pens.

Bill

Mark Cothren
10-31-2006, 2:02 PM
Hey Rusty, missed your first post! Great looking pens, and welcome to the Creek!

Chris Chavis
10-31-2006, 5:56 PM
Like you I just started - posted my first pen in another thread. I don't have enough experience to offer anything besides a, "Look's good to me."

Congratulations on your first pens and on joining SMC, real nice group of people here.

Happy halloween,
Chris