PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Barons

Frank Kobilsek
10-27-2006, 2:58 PM
There seems to be alot of 'pen' threads lately so I'll jump on the band wagon. The Baron rollerballs below are for a lawyer that buys pens from me ten at a time a couple times per year. He gives them to clients and I honestly think he uses and looses them on a pretty regular basis. He has been a good customer for artsy bowls and such too. I am not a fan of walnut for pens but this batch turned out nice. Some are purchased burl blanks but most are cut from near knots in some rough dry walnut I bought at an auction. They had nicer figure than I expected. I also ebonized some to add contrast. I try to CA finish but its really more of a CA soaking that gets sanded down if not off. CA is followed by EEE then Mylands then Ren wax after assembly.

Frank

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 3:05 PM
Looking very good. Agree about the walnut for pens, not my favorite either. A bit porous (usually) for a tiny object like a pen.

Lars Thomas
10-27-2006, 3:17 PM
Frank (and Frank), those are good looking pens. I am on the hunt for some nice premium pen kits. Not the super expensive ones, but something nicer then the standard issue cigar pen. Maybe something in the $10-20 neighborhood with a durable finish. These look like nice kits, where did you get them?

Keith Burns
10-27-2006, 3:20 PM
Great pens Frank:) :) Hows the dna-ing coming along?

Frank Kobilsek
10-27-2006, 4:06 PM
Frank Thanks

Lars, These are Baron Rollerballs, Titanium Gold and Brushed Nickel. I like the platinim too. I buy pen supplies from Arizona Sillhoutte. Good website, same name. Two reasons I like AS, shipping is cheapest anywhere and Bill always throws something extra in the box. PRices are very competitive.

Keith, the first batch of 8 bowls came out of the DNA soak tank on Monday 10-9 which means they will be dry on Monday the 30th. Inspected them last night, no cracks and they feel dry. So Monday night something will get finish turned.

Everybody have a good weekend. Tommorrow morning I have a fellow turner coming to visit my shop from the club I joined. He will be my first visitor that knows what I am doing. HE is going to teach me the tricks of Christmas ornaments and I am going to give him a big chunk of curly maple.

Frank

Mike Vickery
10-27-2006, 5:29 PM
Very nice. I am actually quite fond of Walnut for pens if it is air dried and especially if it is figured.
I think this premium American hardwood if often overlooked by pen turner because of the plain brown color most of us are used to from kiln dried stock. Oh and figured walnut and x-cut walnut pens have always sold well for me.

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 6:09 PM
Frank (and Frank), those are good looking pens. I am on the hunt for some nice premium pen kits. Not the super expensive ones, but something nicer then the standard issue cigar pen. Maybe something in the $10-20 neighborhood with a durable finish. These look like nice kits, where did you get them?

Craft Supply is my main source for kits now but there are many others. Bear Tooth Woods, Woodturningz and others offer good prices.
I have made the decision to not buy anything but the best platings available from now on. Usually that will be titanium. Some really premium kits don't come in Ti, don't ask me why, just the way it is. The Emporer at over $50.00 you would think would be but it isn't.
Check out the CS catalog, consider the Statesman, Jr. Gent 2 or the Gent. Prices are in $15.00 neighborhood.

Christopher K. Hartley
10-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Beautiful collection Frank, keep up the great work!:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Those are some mighty fine looking pens. Again love to turn walnut for pens. Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2006, 12:21 AM
These are very nice. I love figured walnut pens. Wish I had a customer like that!

Corey

Travis White
10-28-2006, 11:49 AM
They appear to be pretty. I may try some walnut now.

Tom Sherman
10-28-2006, 9:10 PM
Nice looking collection, walnut was what I started turning pens with gotta say I was quite impressed with it havent turned walnut in some time though might have to dig some out and try it out again.

Ernie Nyvall
10-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Real nice pens Frank. The walnut looks great.

Nancy Laird
10-29-2006, 1:31 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity, what are you charging (ballpark) for these pens? I am gettng people telling me that I'm pricing mine too low.

Nancy