PDA

View Full Version : Zebrawood and wenge coffee table finished

James Biddle
10-27-2006, 2:10 PM
I finally finished the coffee table. Zebrawood top and wenge base. This was a fun project and took me out of my comfort zone a little (i.e., it's not square). I got a lot of good suggestions from fellow woodworkers on the base design and the final piece reflects many of your ideas. Thanks for the input.

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/coffeetable1.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/coffeetable2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/coffeetable3.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/coffeetable4.JPG

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 2:26 PM
BEAUTIFUL piece, James! That's a really nice looking table and it has a lot of character. The blend of the zebrawood top with the wenge base is "just right"! Bravo.

Jay Knoll
10-27-2006, 2:32 PM
Jim

You should stay out of your comfort zone if you create stuff like this table! That is awesome, thanks for the post.

Jay

Mark Pruitt
10-27-2006, 2:33 PM
Great job! One thing I like is that it is not readily apparent how the top is attached. There appears to be some type of mechanical fastener in the very center but elsewhere the fasteners are completely hidden. What method DID you use?

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-27-2006, 2:46 PM
Nice table. Great wood combo.

What method DID you use?
I was thinking the same thing.

The screw in the middle may be co-incidental to a glue joint or there may be plugs.

Rennie Heuer
10-27-2006, 2:48 PM
Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing this!

James Biddle
10-27-2006, 3:52 PM
Great job! One thing I like is that it is not readily apparent how the top is attached. There appears to be some type of mechanical fastener in the very center but elsewhere the fasteners are completely hidden. What method DID you use?

Thanks. The base is attached with 5 screws through oversized, countersunk holes. The center of both base arches are lapped (correct term?) and the screw holds both parts. The other 4 screws are near the end where the legs start their downward turn. You can barely make them out in the pic.

Mark Singer
10-27-2006, 3:54 PM
James,
Excellent design and terrific work!!!
What finish did you use??

James Biddle
10-27-2006, 4:20 PM
James,
Excellent design and terrific work!!!
What finish did you use??

Thanks Mark.

For the finish, I used:
Top -
3 coats of Target WB 8800 Sealer (sanded back between coats)
5 coats of Target WB Superclear9000
Finish rubbed out with Menzerna compounds

Base -
1 coat of Target WB garnet Shellac
4 coats of Target WB gloss USL
2 coats of Target WB satin USL

Steve Beadle
10-27-2006, 4:30 PM
She's a real beauty, James!

Dan Gill
10-27-2006, 4:30 PM
Absolutely beautiful! I agree that the wood combination is very nice. Man, everything is nice about it!

Christopher Stahl
10-27-2006, 5:22 PM
That is AWESOME! I love the contrast. Well done.

Jerry Strojny
10-27-2006, 5:27 PM
Looks great! Seems being out of your comfort zone fit you just fine.

Tom Pritchard
10-27-2006, 5:39 PM
Wow James, I've never seen a better looking zebrawood project! The pieces you selected are perfect together, and the shape of the table really compliments the grain of the wood! I am very impressed with your design and implementation. I may even steal your idea and try one of my own.

It's one of the prettiest pieces I've seen recently. Great job!

Art Mulder
10-27-2006, 5:43 PM
I also agree - lovely top. I've seen only a bit of zebra wood before, and it was much darker. This seems to have more pale stripes. I like the balance.

I can't see any seams. How many boards make up the top?

Roy Wall
10-27-2006, 6:12 PM
James -

Terrific looking table....just superb!

Can you give me some details of how you worked the zebrawood?? planing, sanding, scraping, etc.....

Chris Billman
10-27-2006, 7:29 PM
Nice, but I like the one on WoodNet better. ;)

Ben Roman
10-27-2006, 9:51 PM
Wow !!! Get out of the CZ more often !

Ben

John Renzetti
10-28-2006, 6:53 AM
Hi, Great job on the table. Thanks for posting the pictures and the info on the finish.
take care,
John

Roger Everett
10-28-2006, 7:31 AM
Beautiful table, James. The design and the wood selections go together like cake and milk. It's good to come out of the rectilinear world, it greatly increases the design posibilities.
Roger

John Timberlake
10-28-2006, 8:21 AM
Great job! Love the combination of woods, the design and the execution looks nice. Keep up the good work.

Joe Unni
10-28-2006, 8:41 AM
Very nice James!

It must make you feel good to take an idea in your head, organize the idea into a design and then execute the design into a beautiful piece of furniture.

Good for you!!

-joe

Bryan Desjardins
10-28-2006, 10:04 AM
That piece really speaks to me. Great work.

Joe Spear
10-28-2006, 1:28 PM
Normally, I don't really care for zebrawood. However, there is something about the design of your table, the finish, and the color of the base that makes it look beautiful. You have inspired me to give zebrawood another chance. It can look good in the right application.

Neil Lamens
10-28-2006, 4:39 PM
Hi James:

The table is COOL!

Couldn't figure out what was catching my eye on your piece, thought of all the pieces I've seen in Zebra Wood, then realized, the zebra wood was always a framed panel or edged in black lacquer (ie: oval dining table).

It's the sanded and presented zebra wood edges that got me.

How about some background information on the design process. Why the top shape??? Where will the piece reside????

Also I notice wenge being used alot, I'm unfamiliar with the wood, what made you select wenge.

John Miliunas
10-28-2006, 5:15 PM
Way, way nice, Jim! :) I think that may have to be the largest expanse of Zebra I've seen on a project and it looks wonderful! The Wenge base truly sets it off very nicely. Good job! :) :cool:

Frank Fusco
10-29-2006, 12:59 PM
My first thought was...a lot of great pen blanks in that top. :eek:
Oh, well. Really beautiful table, just don't let any penturners near it. :rolleyes: