PDA

View Full Version : Removing nails for wood tool...

Phil Winn
10-27-2006, 1:24 PM
Been doing some house siding-cedar clapboards….and need to remove many nails-some flush with the level of the wood, and some under the surface; some with large heads, and some with small heads. Is there a Tiger or Cats Paw? What other tools would you recommend for damaging the wood/siding
as little as possible?
Thanks,
Phil

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2006, 1:25 PM
I always use a tiger paw and a hammer. Works good fer me. :)

jeremy levine
10-27-2006, 3:34 PM
http://www.amazon.com/AJC-Hatchet-022-AJCSR-Shingle-Ripper/dp/B00004Z2F7

Maybe this

Ben Grunow
10-27-2006, 9:37 PM
Can you set them through the wood with a small set? What are you doing?

Phil Winn
10-28-2006, 1:26 AM
Thanks DP and JL. BG-perhaps could use a nail set-but worry that the
nail head wouldn't lay flat on the Tyvek. I am replacing some siding on a house; but only the siding below a certain clapboard---so the clapboard which is staying-I will need to carefully remove the nails.....
Thanks,
Phil

Dave Falkenstein
10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks DP and JL. BG-perhaps could use a nail set-but worry that the
nail head wouldn't lay flat on the Tyvek. I am replacing some siding on a house; but only the siding below a certain clapboard---so the clapboard which is staying-I will need to carefully remove the nails.....
Thanks,
Phil

I'd use the flat end of a Wonder Bar to get under the piece of clapboard you are trying to save, and pry the clapboard enough to ease the nails so the heads are slightly above the surface. Then use the curved end of the Wonder Bar or a cats paw to remove the nails. Search at Amazon.com for "wonder bar" and "cats paw" for lots of options.

Phil Winn
10-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks all! Tuesday morning UPS will show-up with two packages by 10:30 AM—and Tuesday will be the next dry day to work outside. Fortunately, we finished the sections we started by the end of the day—before it started to rain….Tuesday when the new tools show-up, life will be good-and hopefully go more easily!
Thanks,
Phil

CORY FETZER
10-28-2006, 2:57 PM
i usuall use a set of blacksmith pliers dont know their real name but blacksmiths used them to pull nails out of shoes i have about 8 dift pairs all sizes the handles look like regular plier handles except at the back of one is a mini claw like on a claw hammer the jaws look like two c's or u's facing each other, where the jaws meet at the top they are tappered and two cutouts dia of a horse nail
you can usually find these at auctions flea markets or yard sales i usually pay 1-2 dollars a piece

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2006, 11:29 PM
I agree with the idea of the blacksmith's tool. There are "nail clenchers" and "nail cutters". If you have reasonable dexterity, you can use the cutter but not cut the nail. You just grip the shaft with it and pry it out. These tools can grab a nail head that is nearly flush with the wood. They work much better than tools with thicker jaws such as the various carpenter's prys and bars. As to nails down in the wood, I don't know of any effective tools for that. I'd pry the whole board loose a ways as was suggested above.

Ben Grunow
10-29-2006, 7:43 AM
What I have done in your siuation in the past is to set the nails through and remove the siding below (the nails will sit flat enough with the tyvek to avoid a bump when the new siding is installed). Then, after the new stuff is slid in place, re nail with a nail with a slightly larger head. This nail must be driven at an angle (lots of siding around here is nailed with stainless steel nails which have small heads and a splitless nail is just the right step up in size for this method).

Other wise try a long metal cutting blade on the sawzall and slip it between the siding boards to cut the nails. THis will leave a short piece in the house but that can be removed or bent over after the siding is gone.

When installing clapbards I like to back up any butt joints with a small piece of Vycor (very thin rubber membrane) in case they open over time. I use a simple 90 degree butt joint and bed in Geocell caulk-then ends at corner boards and casings get bedded in caulk as well.

Good luck. Ben