PDA

View Full Version : UniKlamp...Worth getting?

Greg Koch
10-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Amazon has a sale on some Bessey clamps, and I'm looking at getting some UniKlamps. I'd like something lighter than the K-Bodies in the 12 ~ 18" range. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used these, as to their quality and value.

Thanks

Kent Fitzgerald
10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I like them. I used them to clamp face frames together while I was installing cabinets, and the size and weight were perfect for that job. I keep one at the drill press for holding pen blanks. They work well and are well made, just smaller and lighter (less metal) than K-bodies.

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I also like them. They are not "true parallel" clamps like the K-bodies, but the wider plastic jaws on both ends are nicer to work with than typical F-clamps like the Bessey Tradesmans in many cases. I do plan on adding more to my shop over time.

David Briski
10-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I got a set with 2 6", 2 12", and 2 18" when I got some longer K Bodies. I love them all. They work really great, and they are also reversable so you can use them as spreaders. I never thought I would use this but it has come in handy at times when clamping internal stuff that didn't have an edge to clamp i used the spreader to push agains the other side of the box to apply pressure.

JayStPeter
10-27-2006, 12:37 PM
I like them also. But, they are not heavy duty clamps. They are very light and I have had to swap them out on some glueups to get enough pressure in some applications. They are great for small stuff where the clamps can sometimes overwhelm the workpiece.

Hank Knight
10-27-2006, 2:16 PM
I like them a lot. I originally bought two of each size. I keep going back for more and now I have 6 of the small ones and 4 each of the rest. I find they are plenty stout for most small work and are especially nice for clamping stuff to my bench.

Greg Koch
10-27-2006, 2:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies and information...I think I'll place an order. The sale price seems good, and I've got some other things I need so I can take advantage of the "savemore" discount.

Kent Fitzgerald
10-27-2006, 4:11 PM
Greg, are you looking at the 6 Uniklamps for $70 package? If there's a better deal, how 'bout you let us know (after you place your order, of course)?

Greg Koch
10-27-2006, 5:12 PM
Kent,

That's the set I was going to get, combined with other things, but just before I ordered, I got a call... A guy had a new (used once) PC690LR, complete with case, for $70. I got it for $65, so I didn't order the clamps....yet.