PDA

View Full Version : It might happen - new lathe

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I know I'm going to get zinged for this, but 'so what's new?'. :rolleyes:
I have been a stout defender of the Grizzly lathes like the 1067Z I own. And, dollar for dollar, I'll still say they are the best value on the market.
But, as more experienced turners have pointed out here, lower speeds and more power are very necessary for more creative turning than I have accomplished to date.
I'm on a tight budget but may be able to work a new lathe into that budget sometime soon. Tops will be $2000.00 plus freight. That 2G will have to include accessories that are needed and proprietary to whatever brand I end up with.
The shopping begins.

Keith Burns
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
All I can say Frank is............Get ur done !!!!

Jeff Myers
10-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Way to go Frank, I hope to be following in your footsteps soon myself, i'm getting so tired of the limitations imposed by the Jet mini as far as size of turnings i want to get into. I'd love to have the "problems" others speak of about chasing their lathes around the shop with an out of round 200 lb burl mounted on their lathes!:eek:

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Frank, for around your budget, you'll be able to get a very nice machine, like the Jet 1642. No "proprietary" stuff, either...standard accessories apply. The 1.5hp 120v version is nice, but if you can swing the little bit of additional cost for the 2hp 240v unit, it will keep you happier in the long run, especially if you get into bigger bowls and vessels.

Mark Pruitt
10-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Jim mentioned a good contender; also you might get in touch with Gary DeWitt who has recently purchased a General for under 2G. His initial observations and comments as far as I can remember have all been positive.

I can most definitely hear your "itch" for something bigger. I feel much the same. The 1642, and the General, should give you great performance. Or, if you're willing to put it off even longer, you could save more and head to Mustardland.

Hope you find something great!!!

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2006, 1:07 PM
Frank,

I've been the route of buying, using, upgrading, buying, using, upgrading for lathes. I got tired of always having to upgrade. I decided to bite the preverbial bullet and save long enough to get a 3520A. I've since been extremely satisfied with turning, blank size it can take and turning something at around 60 RPM is simply amazing!! The additional weight, power, and capacity is well worth the extra time in saving.

Of course, Andy said that he'd sell you his "mayo machine" so he could get him a "mustard machine". :p :p :rolleyes:

Mike Vickery
10-27-2006, 1:08 PM
Frank I second the above
The Jet 1642 2 HP may push you a little over your limit but the extra $200 to go to the 2 hp 220 could make all the difference in how long you are happy with your purchase.
Everything I have ever heard about General's is good but I am not familiar with the machine. If I was in the market it would definately be one I would consider.
If you can find one you can usually get a used machine in the 2035 range for less than that price.

Mark Cothren
10-27-2006, 1:20 PM
Good luck, Frank!

And just for the record, Moxified Hoyt couldn't handle a touch of mustard in his shop... just wouldn't be able to take the shock...

Mark Pruitt
10-27-2006, 2:44 PM
Of course, Andy said that he'd sell you his "mayo machine" so he could get him a "mustard machine". :p :p :rolleyes:

And just for the record, Moxified Hoyt couldn't handle a touch of mustard in his shop... just wouldn't be able to take the shock...
ROFL!!! You Arkansas guys sure are stirring things up this afternoon! What's in the water over there? (I'll take some if you pass it over!):D :D :D

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 2:54 PM
Frank I second the above
The Jet 1642 2 HP may push you a little over your limit but the extra $200 to go to the 2 hp 220 could make all the difference in how long you are happy with your purchase.
Everything I have ever heard about General's is good but I am not familiar with the machine. If I was in the market it would definately be one I would consider.
If you can find one you can usually get a used machine in the 2035 range for less than that price.

That would mean calling in the electrician and getting 220 set up in the shop. I'll check out the General.

Dario Octaviano
10-27-2006, 2:55 PM
Frank,

I hardly used my 3520B yet (maybe just 5 hours) but I highly recommend it. If you can find one in a surplus store, your budget might just be right.

BTW, the money you spend on it will be well worth it. :) Resale value is also up there.

Dario Octaviano
10-27-2006, 2:56 PM
That would mean calling in the electrician and getting 220 set up in the shop. I'll check out the General.

Not really...I am using a homemade (heavy duty) extension cord right now and plugging that on my dryer outlet :D

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 3:34 PM
Frank, there is nothing wrong with the 1.5hp version of the Jet and it does run on 120v. The reason that I recommended the 2hp...'if you can swing it'...and including the necessary electrical work...is that it gives you that bit of extra power that will come in handy if you ever try to do something like coring or swinging very large, heavy, out of balance hunks of wood. Otherwise, they are the same machines, more or less...