PDA

View Full Version : Pentz Cyclone kit install

Rick Beko
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the Bill Pentz cyclone kit with laser cut 20 gauge sheet metal, CNC cut blower and 5HP Leeson which I was planning to build. We recently moved into a new home and my shop is moving from a 2 car garage to the basement. That being said the garage at the previous house had lots of height clearance and now I have 99" to the top between the joists. My understanding is there should be 2" of clearance from the motor to the ceiling so I max out at 97." I would only be running one machine at a time aside from the DC. According to Bill's web site using an 18" bin brings the unit to 96". I am thinking this may be a waste of my time as I would spend more time emptying the bin. Should I sell the kit and look at an alternate DC solution? Does anyone have any links where the blower is beside the cyclone?

Cecil Arnold
10-26-2006, 11:32 PM
The collector should fit in 96" (8 foot ceiling).

Rick Beko
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
But what size bin are we talking about? If I have to empty it frequently it will be a pain.

Ken Salisbury
10-27-2006, 12:36 AM
I hope you get answers to your questions.

However, I must inform you that in order to be a bona fide member of SMC you are required per the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with that information and she will update your registration information.

Your Friendly Moderator
Ken Salisbury

Russ Massery
10-27-2006, 7:52 AM
Most use a 35 gallon drum.

Art Mulder
10-27-2006, 9:03 AM
Should I sell the kit and look at an alternate DC solution? Does anyone have any links where the blower is beside the cyclone?

Stu Ablett in Japan built a cyclone with the blower off to the side. Go visit his web page (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/) and you will see literally a ton of photos of the progress. That should give plenty of ideas.

Something to remember... being a basement shop, you'll need to carry this bin up the stairs. Sawdust packs really tight. How much does an 18" bin packed full of sawdust weigh?

Rick Beko
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I see that Stu mounted his blower so the impeller and motor are vertical. My blower kit will be assembled as per Bill's Pentz plans...sheet metal, wood and hardware. Has anyone mounted their Pentz blower kit and motor in a vertical position? I have not assembled my blower yet so I am unsure as to how stable it will be in a vertical position. Will a bracket supporting the motor and one side of the housing be enough or should both sides of the housing be supported?

Al Killian
10-30-2006, 3:25 PM
What about makeing a square box that is lower? You could lower the height a few inches and just make the box wider, say 24" square by 15" high.I am not sure how much volume you are in nedd of, but this should help with ideas of lowering the height.Just my 2cents.
Al K.

Howard Rosenberg
10-30-2006, 7:42 PM
They make fibreboard cylinders with clamp-on lids in custom sizes.
They're very inexpensive and they'll work with you for the height you need.
HTH
Howard

Rick Beko
10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Howard, these bins look like a great option...thanks.

Rick