PDA

View Full Version : Looking before I leap.

Eddie Severt
10-23-2003, 1:28 PM
I have a lot of mature tulip poplar on my farm. Some is so mature it is starting to die. I have thought about having it cut with a bandsaw mill and offering it for sale, but I would like to gauge the market before starting. I would have poplar any length up to 16', and thickness up to 16/4. Some flatsawn boards would only be limited in width by the capacity of the mill. I believe I would get some 16' clear boards. I would stack and sticker it and seal the ends. I have thought of asking $400.00 per thousand picked up here and would consider delivery or planeing on two sides for a reasonable price. I would also take orders for specific length and thickness. Is this reasonable, too high or too low? I would have 50-100,000 board feet (conservative estimate). Any input or interest would be appreciated, as I would like to start doing this soon if there is any market.

Jim Becker
10-23-2003, 8:04 PM
Eddie, when we moved into this property a new septic system had to be installed and the new drain field on the hill behind our house required that a number of trees came down. Poplar, as it turns out. I'm still using that wood for many a project!

It's definitly marketable and 40 cents a bd ft is reasonable. Do keep in mind that it will not be ready for folks to work with for a year or two, depending on the thickness and your local conditions. Even after 3 1/2 years, I'm careful to partially mill it and let it acclimate further for a week or two before using it due to ambient moisture around here.

Paul Kunkel
10-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Eddie, current prices here-delivered to my shop for 5/4 s4s is $1.65. I'd have it delivered. BTW, it's abt. 9% moisture content, KD, flat, clear blond.