PDA

View Full Version : Wenge Dining Table Finished

Mark Singer
10-26-2006, 9:32 PM
Today I moved the very large base....top...and frame into the dining area and assembled it .... Sorry the pics are a little dark. The chairs I made about 5 years ago and they are now sold to a client with new, Hans wegner Wishbone Chairs coming soon....

Tom Hamilton
10-26-2006, 9:35 PM
Wow! Awesome! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

James Biddle
10-26-2006, 9:45 PM
Fantastic job Mark!
I'm just finishing up a zebrawood top/wenge base coffee table. What was your finishing schedule? I used a garnet shellac for a base and top coated with Target Superclear9000. Yours looks a bit warmer than mine (pics soon).

Dan Larson
10-26-2006, 9:54 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Mark... looking forward to seeing it with the Wegner chairs!

Dan

Mark Singer
10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Fantastic job Mark!
I'm just finishing up a zebrawood top/wenge base coffee table. What was your finishing schedule? I used a garnet shellac for a base and top coated with Target Superclear9000. Yours looks a bit warmer than mine (pics soon).

The base is sanded to 320 after scraping with a card scraper and going from 100....120,,,,150....220....320 grits. The Daly's Ben Matte which is a great tung oil...wet sanding with 400 and 3 coats...then Watco Natural liquid wax appied w/#0000 steel wool. The Top has general Finishes Seal A Cell 2 coats and Arm R seal...3 coats gloss 2 coats satin... I will eventually wax it. # coats on the bottom face also. The Arm R Seal must be applied on small areas and during the cooler time of the day....mornings and evenings or you will see lap marks. Thee top ws scraped, with a card scrapper, 80 thru 320 grits and then finish applied..

Mark Pruitt
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
What an awesome table. You do beautiful work.

John Fry
10-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Beautiful job Mark.

That is one heck of a lot of wenge.

Karl Laustrup
10-27-2006, 5:01 AM
As we have come to expect Mark, that is beautiful. Your design and workmanship is impeccable as always.

When you do the chairs are you going to use a lighter wood, such as the ones in the photos? Or will the chairs be wenge also.

Karl

Dave Richards
10-27-2006, 6:37 AM
Beautiful, Mark. I sure like that table. Thank you for sharing the WIP and the finished product.

Bob Childress
10-27-2006, 7:09 AM
Mark,

My heavens, you do turn out some awesome stuff! Another great piece of design and workmanship. Six thumbs up if I had six thumbs (and maybe I do, SWMBO says I am ALL thumbs.) Excellent. :)

Gail O'Rourke
10-27-2006, 7:14 AM
HI, I love this table, I love the design and the wood is gorgeous. Thumbs up all around.

John Renzetti
10-27-2006, 8:15 AM
Beautiful work, Mark. Great design and construction.
take care,
John

Tyler Howell
10-27-2006, 8:26 AM
OOOO La La.
Awesome as alway Mark.

John Piwaron
10-27-2006, 8:38 AM
Awesome! Beautiful!

I like how you handled the wood movement of the top. It's not for everybody, but on this table it looks perfect.

Al Willits
10-27-2006, 8:53 AM
Awsome project, tables bigger than our dining room, but it looks good in yours.. :)

Both the wife and I were wondering, why the gap between both table tops?

Thanks for the info on finishing, once again goes to show taking your time and doing it right, makes for a beautiful finish.

Al

Rich Torino
10-27-2006, 9:17 AM
Great design.... Awsome workmenship....

Phil Thien
10-27-2006, 9:37 AM
Today I moved the very large base....top...and frame into the dining area and assembled it .... Sorry the pics are a little dark. The chairs I made about 5 years ago and they are now sold to a client with new, Hans wegner Wishbone Chairs coming soon....

Outstanding! The tone of the wood is just perfect for a dining table! And the style is fantastic, too! Can't say enough. What's for dinner?

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 9:44 AM
That looks wonderful, Mark! Great job...and perfect for the space.

Folks, aside from the obvious outstanding design, execution and craftsmanship that Mark illustrates, know that the space that this table resides in is also exquisite...filled with light and spacious. This new table suits that space to a tee!

John Miliunas
10-27-2006, 9:47 AM
Today I moved the very large base....top...and frame into the dining area and assembled it ....

Ahhhhh, you and what army??? :eek: :confused: :D Wow, Mark! I'd love to see this one in person! Seems every new project you tackle is always a cut above the last and this table is no exception! Well done and thanks much for including the process of getting it to its final completion! :) :cool:

Jim Tobias
10-27-2006, 1:44 PM
Gorgeous table Mark!!! The design fits in perfectly (IMHO)with your house (from pictures I have seen here). It also meets the requirement of good furnishings in that it seems it would be very comfortable to sit and enjoy dinner (and good company) at this table.
I do have to ask... did you pick wenge splinters out for awhile after completion? When I have used it (even on small projects as accents) , it can be a "sticky" experience!!

Jim

John Schreiber
10-27-2006, 3:46 PM
Congratulations Mark. That table will be appreciated by all who sit down at it. Some will see its beauty, some will appreciate the workmanship, others will recognize fine design. It will be a fine reflection on you for many years.

Jerry Strojny
10-27-2006, 5:37 PM
Looks awesome! You do some phenomenal work.

Mark Valsi
10-27-2006, 6:27 PM
Nice job !

what color are you going to paint it <GGGGGGG>

Dave Ray
10-27-2006, 8:05 PM
Awesome Mark, as usual your latest work exceeds your high standards, and the rest of us benefit thru you. Thank you

Alan Turner
10-27-2006, 8:19 PM
Very nice workmanship, and the design fits the space well.

Zahid Naqvi
10-27-2006, 8:54 PM
nice work, as always.

Roy Wall
10-28-2006, 12:32 AM
I can't wait to get out there and test a meal out!!!!!!!!!

Is there enough seasonal movement to measure the variations in the middle gap? Is it (the top) glued on the outside edges.....near the legs....and left to float a bit near the interior?

Beautiful line work!

John Michaels
10-28-2006, 1:03 AM
Very impressive Mark, that table really has a presence.

Mark Singer
10-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I can't wait to get out there and test a meal out!!!!!!!!!

Is there enough seasonal movement to measure the variations in the middle gap? Is it (the top) glued on the outside edges.....near the legs....and left to float a bit near the interior?

Beautiful line work!

The expansion / wood movement is handled in an interesting way. There is a "frame" structure at each end that supports the large cantitever and then there are outlookers that spring from the main stretchers . A single screw in each member running into the top and in a line at the peak of the convex top secures the top to the base . Since there is only one line of scews the planks are free to grow or shrink laterally

Steve Wargo
10-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Man, I just love this table. I loved the old one. I love this one. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I love it. Perhaps its the split top that I love so much.

Neil Lamens
10-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Hey Mark:

Nice statement. I like the curiosity effect it imposes.

Your tutorial of the mitered end caps now comes to focus.

An earlier poster used the word "presence" and that it has.

When you have the Wegner Wishbone chairs, please show the piece again. That should open up its "presence".

Magnifique'........Neil