PDA

View Full Version : woodworking stores in East Michigan?

Jon Eckels
10-26-2006, 7:32 PM
As of tomorrow I'll be off on a trip to visit some family members in East Michigan, about 1/2hr west of Port Huron, and I was wondering if there are any woodworking stores in the general area? I don't think i'll have time for any classes or anything of that sort, but I'd like to do some shopping. Any help?

Alex Shanku
10-26-2006, 7:58 PM
Rockler is in Royal Oak, I believe located on Woodward. There is also Marsh power tools in Livonia and Woodcraft in Canton, but those are about 1hr or so away.

James Biddle
10-26-2006, 9:48 PM
Don't forget the new Woodcraft in Sterling Heights. Nice store. Also, if your near Ann Arbor, Electric Tool is a good visit.

Jeremy Chisholm
10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Yep. Rockler store is closest to you, and it's a well-run, well-stocked store. On Woodward just north of 12 1/2 mile Road, east side of the street. No affiliation, just a happy customer....

Michael Cody
10-27-2006, 1:31 AM
As of tomorrow I'll be off on a trip to visit some family members in East Michigan, about 1/2hr west of Port Huron, and I was wondering if there are any woodworking stores in the general area? I don't think i'll have time for any classes or anything of that sort, but I'd like to do some shopping. Any help?

1/2 hour west of Port Huron puts you around Davison or Imlay City... nothing to much in that area that I know of.. if you head South down to Brighton there is Marsh Power Tools, if you then (from Brighton, go east back toward Detroit on 96, to 275 south to ford road there is WoodCraft of Canton..

There used to be some kind of place with Beaver in it's name around Brighton too.

Otherwise you have to head about 1.5 hours over to Johnson Woodworking in Charlotte -- ok place, but more of a wood place. Nothing special..

Down in Detroit there is Rocker & Sterling Heights Woodcraft.. but neither is close.

What city west of Port Huron are going to be in, that would help alot. Also if you are bored you can shoot down 23 to Cabela's -- awesome place probably 1.5 hours from 69 south of flint.

Jim Hinze
10-27-2006, 3:39 AM
Being near Port Huron, your about 45 minutes from the Sterling Heights woodcraft store, excellent store, good stock, helpfull knowledgable staff, etc.

Your about an hour from Rockler in Royal Oak, also a nice store.

As mike pointed out, Johnsons work bench in Charlotte is awesome (great wood selections), but probably closer to 2 hours from you...

Mike Sheppard
10-27-2006, 7:21 AM
Jon
Try going it Southeast Michigan Wooders site, click on "Wiki" and look for "lumber sources" you will find links to the stores with maps.
http://www.marsh-monster.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=a0c12e0c9101c7ab60028e12ac1e93b9
Mike

Matt Meiser
10-27-2006, 7:47 AM
Also if you are bored you can shoot down 23 to Cabela's -- awesome place probably 1.5 hours from 69 south of flint.

And if you do that, you're only 12 miles from me. :D

I wouldn't bother with the Woodcraft in Canton. I usually hit one out of town rather than go there. I haven't been to the one in Sterling Heights, but everyone I know likes it a lot better than the Canton one.

Rod Upfold
10-27-2006, 8:00 AM
We been having alot of rain up in the Port Huron area....
I am right across the river from Port Huron in Sarnia, Ontario. I am not sure where the Hampton 's are...but if you are crossing Ontario on the "401" - you will be passing by London. In London there is "Federated tool store" a major "General" machinery store and then there is also a "Lee Valley" store there also.

London is only an hour away from Port Huron/ Sarnia.

Rod

Jon Eckels
10-27-2006, 8:39 AM
What city west of Port Huron are going to be in, that would help alot. Also if you are bored you can shoot down 23 to Cabela's -- awesome place probably 1.5 hours from 69 south of flint.

Yale. tiny "city". Cabelas is a great idea, i'll probably hit it on the way back, if my wife and the spawn let me.

Probably hit that woodcraft in Sterling Heights too. Thanks for the info guys!

Stan Mijal
10-27-2006, 9:04 AM
Jon,

While near Sterling Height (Woodcraft Van Dyke north of 17 mile road), there is a Performance Tool Store about 4 miles south (Dequindre and S.E. corner of 11 mile road) They have quite a selection of power tools, some stationary tools.
Bass Pro Shops is along I-75 just north of the Rochester/Troy area. Good place for the kids and wife spend some time.
Just thought I'd add a few other places.

Doug Shepard
10-27-2006, 9:20 AM
I was thinking something near the Flint area might be a bit closer and more convenient for him, but does anyone know the name (it escapes me at the moment) of the large hardwood supplier around Flint. I haven't personally been there, but my Uncle has made a few trips there and says they have pretty everything. He's up north deer hunting at the moment so I cant ask him.