PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Hand Planer Idea

Stephen Tashiro
10-26-2006, 6:31 PM
Since I don't find the hand held power planer to be a very useful tool, I've always wondered if one could make some sort of jig for it so it could be used like a jointer planer. I think about two parallel poles that would be set over a board that was held down on a work table. The planer would secured to something that would slide along the boards so it would do its planing in the "plane" they define. When I've tried to rig up such a thing, I find the practical problem is adjusting the frame that holds the poles relative to the board on the table. It's too time consuming on an improvised rig. Has any one seen any commercial jigs based on this idea? Do they work well?

glenn bradley
10-26-2006, 8:16 PM
I use my hand held power planer about once every two years BUT, when I need it, it is just the thing. I'd clean it up and pack for storage and find a quiet corner for it. If you have a router table, I would concentrate my jointer alternative efforts there. Just my .02

Ben Grunow
10-26-2006, 8:43 PM
The shooting board (thanks Harry) concept comes to mind.

It would be easy to make a sled for the power plane that rode on the edge of a jointed straght board or piece of plywood allowing the curved board to be clamped in place and jointed straight by the planer. Maybe two boards with the work piece between so the edge would be square without question.

Love to see it if you make something.

I have 2 power planes, one is called Bucky (beaver) because the depth of cut adjustment has been ground to allow a full 3/16" deep cut and we use it to plane framing on the job (which frequently involves the heads of many nails so the blades are really nice) and the other is (mostly) for trim.

Steve Rowe
10-27-2006, 8:59 AM
Festool has such an attachment for their hand planer. I don't have one so can't comment on its performance.
Steve

Randal Stevenson
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Eurekazone also has the ability to use a portable planer with it.

Mike Chrest
10-27-2006, 8:33 PM
I have seen a router sled set up to flatten the top of a workbench. The router is suspended above the work by a sliding cross piece which rides on two streight vertical boards. The depth of cut is adjusted buy lowering the router in its base.
Maybe you can use the same set-up with your planer? You would have to change the depth of cut with shims under the vertical boards.
Mike