PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Lathe?

Bill Wiggins
10-26-2006, 5:20 PM
I recall seeing instructions somewhere for using a drill press as a lathe for small pieces. I can not yet justify the cost of a lathe, but would like to create some turned legs for a table.

Does anyone have some ideas?

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2006, 5:30 PM
The only drill press I have seen turning on was turning pens. Don't know about table legs?? I think that would be pretty tough to do.

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 8:48 PM
You can probably "turn" some small spindles (for models, etc.) on a DP, but it's not really designed to handle the types of stresses you would result in for larger work. It would be hugely uncomfortable to work in that orientation, too. As an alternative, hook up with a turner in your area to collaborate with or consider sourcing your legs from Adams or another online supplier.

Andy Hoyt
10-26-2006, 8:53 PM
If your time has any value (and it does, regardless of who or what you are) then you're better off doing as Jim suggests; or jump into a real lathe.

Bill Wiggins
10-26-2006, 9:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I believe I will try to find a Turner in my area to outsource it to.

Robert E Lee
10-26-2006, 11:05 PM
I turned a lot of toy truck wheels on a drill press. A bench model laid down and blocked solid on its side. Worked real well but this was short pieces. Standing upright it was very uncomfortable. Depending on what drill press you have but it might work. See Pennstate Drill Press Lathe # DPLATHE. Might get a few this way but I would not want go into production with it.
Bob