PDA

View Full Version : screws for plywood

Rick Bullick
10-26-2006, 1:09 PM
I am taking the big leap into cabinetmaking. I am using 3/4" veneered plywood for the carcasses and am wondering what kind of screws I should use to assemble the sides and back together. Thanks for the help.

glenn bradley
10-26-2006, 1:24 PM
Depending on the application you'll want to look at thread style. McFeelys sells a wide variety. For a clamping-type function they sell a screw with threads that stop at a reduced shank that continues to the head. These often prevent the forcing of pieces out of alignment that is common to fully threaded screw shanks (think drywall screws).

Nancy Laird
10-26-2006, 1:56 PM
I am taking the big leap into cabinetmaking. I am using 3/4" veneered plywood for the carcasses and am wondering what kind of screws I should use to assemble the sides and back together. Thanks for the help.

Rick, we use 8 x 1-1/4 deep-thread square-drive wood screwsscrews--pre-drill with a combo drill/countersink bit. The hold very well in plywood, MDF and just about everything else. McFeeley's has them, but so do a lot of other places, too

Nancy

Larry Fox
10-26-2006, 3:53 PM
I completed a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet just the other day that I secured with brads to hold things in place temporarally and finished up with drywall screws. I can tell you that no part of it is coming loose or falling off any time in the near or distant future. I used biscuts and splines to keep things alligned.

frank shic
10-26-2006, 4:16 PM
Rick, you might want to check out the "ultimates" screws available at woodworkers hardware. i used confirmats in the past which work really well but you'll need to buy the drill bit and either freehand the cut risking blowouts and drill breakage or use a general drill jig.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/groupid/Fasteners%20%26%20Screws

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 8:42 PM
I also use the square drive screws from McFeeley's for this and almost everything else. Were I to decide to work with some Melamine-covered particle board or MDF, I'd opt for the Confirmats...and pay for the special drill bit.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-27-2006, 7:48 AM
Here in the Great White North all the Borgs carry Particle Board screws with the Robertson head. Use them for particle board, plywood and MDF these are in standard sizes use regular counter bit drills. No problems to date.

Greg

John Renzetti
10-27-2006, 8:20 AM
Hi, I mostly use the German Spax screws that I get from Hafele and also Lee Valley. I picked up a couple of boxes of screws from Wurth, also from Germany and tried those. Really nice. Confirmat works great also, but you need to get the best installation.
The spax are square drive. The Wurth uses a torx head.
take care,
John