PDA

View Full Version : Something for the artists

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Several weeks ago, I tried a new Pencil Kit. It is for Artists or Woodworkers, depending on which lead you use. Well, I showed it to members of The Bohemian Arts Society, where I'm a member. Had them try it and they loved the feel.

The one on the left is mine, made from Sapele, the middle one is from some wood I picked up on St Margarette's Island, Venezuela, (Don't know it's name, but, while we were touring, I heard a chain saw; found the guy using it and had him cut me a small piece of a limb of the tree. I wish I had taken a lot more.), the third one is some Spalted Maple I have.

The last two are already sold. I'm delivering them tonight. I really like the figuring of the Maple.

As always Comments, Likes, Dis-likes are appreciated, and even Humor? is allowed.

Bruce

Travis White
10-26-2006, 12:33 PM
They look pretty, but pretty big too. How are they to hold?

Mark Pruitt
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I can easily see why you wish you had more of the Venezualan stuff. All three are very, very nicely done. What did you finish them with?

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2006, 1:19 PM
Those are some beauties Bruce. I can see why you wished you had gotten more of that one wood. Nice stuff.

Frank Fusco
10-26-2006, 3:41 PM
To answer Travis' question. They are easy to hold for the purpose(s) intended. I have one that I use as my personal shop pencil. It is from osage orange and was turned extra fat for ease of holding. Replacement leads can be purchased in either #2 (soft) or HB (hard). I use the hard in the shop. I made another yesterday that is going to a friend as a gift. There are several shop/artists pencil kits available but I like this one because it is attractive, straightforward to turn, has a tube (not all have) and is easy to assemble.

Paul Engle
10-26-2006, 4:23 PM
Way cool, i'll take 2....:D from Venezuela of course :eek:

John Miliunas
10-26-2006, 7:15 PM
Well, of course they liked them! What's not to like? Nice job, Bruce! :) My oldest daughter has done some pencil work...Wonder if she wouldn't be interested in a couple like that? Thanks for the idea! :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-26-2006, 7:52 PM
Great looking pencils Mr. Shiverdecker! Good looking pencils!

Corey

Bill O'Conner
10-26-2006, 7:57 PM
I like them, who's makes the kit :confused:

Bill

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the comments folks.

Travis, you don't hold them like a Writing instrument. As Frank said, they are very comfortable.

Paul, if you are serious, I have more of the Venezualian blanks. Send me a PM.

Bill, the kits are available from both Penn State and Woodcraft and Probably elsewhere. Just make sure you get the same brand of bushings. It is my understanding that they are not of universal size. These are done with the Woodcraft kit.

Bruce

Keith Burns
10-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Great pencils Bruce:) :)

Frank Fusco
10-27-2006, 3:07 PM
I like them, who's makes the kit :confused:

Bill

Someone in China makes them. ;) Available from Craft Supply USA.

Bill O'Conner
10-27-2006, 8:25 PM
Someone in China makes them. ;) Available from Craft Supply USA.

Thanks Frank :p

Bill, the kits are available from both Penn State and Woodcraft and Probably elsewhere. Just make sure you get the same brand of bushings. It is my understanding that they are not of universal size. These are done with the Woodcraft kit.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
A PS:

The finish is my usual; sand to 4000, but went on to 11000, using butcherblock oil as lubricant, then 6 coats of French Polish, then two buffed coats of Briwax.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
10-28-2006, 6:19 PM
Great job on the pencils Bruce. Those do have a nice feel... I got one from Barry Stratton and it's the only thing I use.