PDA

View Full Version : I'm hanging it up

David Wilson
10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Well folks I have decided to retire. Been at the same job for yhe past 21 years. My last day at work will be oct 31. Been working half days since the first of the year due to leg and knee problems. I turn 58 on Nov 7 and the concrete should be done on my shop addition by then. Guess it's about time to start on another kayak.

Scott Loven
10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
First of all, congratulations! I just turned 51 and am really looking forward to retiring and having full time to dedicate to the thinks that I really want to do. Will you be doing anything part time for income? What are your plans for medical?
Scott

Dennis Peacock
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Congrats David!!!! I'll be there....one day. :D

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Congratulations, David!! A new schedule for your days and a new shop make for interesting times!

I can only hope that someday I can retire... ;)

Rick Doyle
10-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Congratulations, David - you won't regret it. I retired 7 years ago at 55 and have enjoyed every day since. I loved my job when I worked but it was definitely time to get away from having my time dictated by meetings, schedules etc. Life's too short!

The best part of retirement is the freedom to spend your time how you want.

Rick

Al Willits
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Congrats, I'll be thinking of you them mornings I get up to 2 foot of new snow, and temps below zero and trudge off to work....you get to pull the covers up a bit and go back to sleep....:D

Enjoy.

Al ... who's getting close..:)

Mack Cameron
10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Dave; by my calculation, you have 2 more days to work.
The next 21 years will be the happiest of your life. I will complete 16 years of retirement in Feb. '07, the best 17 years of my life. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to.
Here's to a long and happy retirement building kayaks!

John Bailey
10-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Dave, Congratulations,

Take my advice and stay busy. You probably won't have a problem with that. When you get that next kayak done, drop me a line. We'll meet half way and do a little paddling.

John

Art Mulder
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I can only hope that someday I can retire... ;)

Hmm, I'd say 15 years before your youngest is through college... My youngest might be starting college by then, as his 3rd birthday is Monday.
Uh-oh, there go my retire at 55 plans!!! :eek:

Norman Hitt
10-26-2006, 3:21 PM
Congratulations David. One thing I'll say is if that leg & knee are giving trouble, get it fixed SOON so it don't interfere with your enjoyable activities, (I know because I've got one that I had kind of neglected to repair and it has sure been putting a cramp in my style for a while, but now it has to wait it's turn to get fixed).:rolleyes:

Be sure to get that shop finished soon so you'll have a place to get "Out of Sight" at times, so you won't have the problem that one fellow had, ie; Two friends ran into each other at the Mall one day and in the conversation, one lady ask the other, well since George has been retired for about 8 months now, how are you folks enjoying retirement? The other lady replied, not real well,...."Twice as much Husband, and Half as much money"!!! :rolleyes: :D

Eddie Watkins
10-26-2006, 4:30 PM
Congratulations David!! I have been struggling with the same decision for several months. It is really harder to walk away than I would have thought 20 years ago. Good luck in your new endeavors and let me know how it works out.

Eddie

Cecil Arnold
10-26-2006, 6:13 PM
Congratulations David, I've been retired for two years now and can't seem to find enough time to do everything I want to do.

John Miliunas
10-26-2006, 6:56 PM
You old dog, you! :D Congrats! I'm truly happy for you. Not sure I'll ever make it as far as retirement, so I'm a bit green with envy. :o Knowing you, though, you'll be as busy or busier once you walk out of the J.O.B. for the last time. Good for you, my friend! :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
10-26-2006, 6:58 PM
Wow Dave,
Sounds great.
Only 492 days, 4 hours and 2 minutes.
But nobody's counting.:rolleyes: :D

Fred Voorhees
10-26-2006, 7:02 PM
David, hey, keep the beer cold and the dust chips flying. I'll be joining you in just a little over six years. Turn 49 this coming January and will be retiring at 55. As others have said, I would think that the best thing about retirement is the amount of time that you can suddenly dedicate to the things that you WANT to do.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2006, 7:02 PM
This thread is depressing. If I ever get to retire, its at least 30 years away. And that's if there's anything left after paying for all of you to retire. :D

Congratulations Dave!

Jerry Olexa
10-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Congrats, Dave....Retirement is GREAT as you'll find out!!! Enjoy it. Every day is Saturday....:)

Joe Mioux
10-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Dave:

I hope you retire to something that makes you happy for the next 25-30 years.

For me I think I will just continue working. My youngest kid is 6 yrs old, so that put her undergraduate college graduation at 2022 and her dad 62.

Yikes!

Joe

Karl Laustrup
10-27-2006, 4:28 AM
Congrats Dave.

It is nice not having to get up and follow a set routine every day. You can make it up as you go. Enjoy.

Karl

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-27-2006, 8:41 AM
21 years and you can retire?? ??

That is great.

It is just great !!

Tom Hamilton
10-27-2006, 8:56 AM
Congrats Dave, you're entering a new phase of life. My guess, from reading your posts, is that you will be in the "redirection" phase as opposed to retirement.

I found that the demands on my redirection time can be as demanding as when I was working. So, set your course to things that you enjoy and that make the type of contribution to your family, friends and community that you want to make.

It's a wonderful life.

All the best, Tom, in Houston enjoying redirection year 16.

David Wilson
10-27-2006, 1:23 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. Money will be a little short for a while but I am getting VA disability which should increase in a couple months.

Nick Englesby
10-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Congrats to you sir. Enjoy your retirement and Kayak building.