PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Granite?

Robert Wilson
10-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Can a CO2 laser engrave granite. Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Frank Corker
10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Robert,

Yes it can etch pictures on granite without problems. Black is preferrable as it gives the most contrast. It is an etch though, do not confuse it with a deep carved cut like a stone masons. Granite and marble are probably the most used in this group

Lee DeRaud
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Yup. Check here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30018
and maybe search for 'granite' in this forum.

Kevin Huffman
10-26-2006, 4:06 PM
I am engraving some grey granite right now as we speak. It doesn't have much contrast but we put some black ink on it. Then re seal the granite and it will have a really awsome look. It looks really antique-ish.

Steve McKee
10-26-2006, 6:01 PM
How about posting a photo of that Kevin, I'd like to see what it looks like. Sounds nice.

Steve

Abdul Baseer Hai
10-27-2006, 2:52 PM
I engraved a memorial 12 x 24 granite plaque at 40S and 100P on my 50 watt machine at 600 DPI. i finger rubbed "Winton oil color, Titanium White" into the etching and the result was a beautiful white color. The oil paint completely dries in about five days so dont put the plaque outside before that.
I would like someone to tell me how to seal this paint, if it can be sealed, to get extra durability.

This paint tip was given to me by a memorial shop owner who has been doing it for quite some time.

Abdul

Guy Hilliard
10-27-2006, 5:10 PM
Rub'n Buff is magic stuff. Inexpensive for the amount used, available in a variety of colours, and it's finished is seconds.

Frederic Gagnon
03-13-2007, 5:38 PM
Hi guys,

I managed to engrave on those 12X12'' granite tiles I found at the hardware store. I am proud of the result, for a first try, it's not bad! I used Photoshop to convert the original color photo to a halftone screened image.

My question is regading sealing the piece. I am thinking that the engraved areas will return to a dark shade if I apply a sealant. Is there a sealant that will work directly on the engraved piece? Or else, someone suggested to rub white oil paint and then use a sealant. Is that the right way?

Thanks!

Lorene Fangman
03-13-2007, 6:08 PM
I engraved a memorial 12 x 24 granite plaque at 40S and 100P on my 50 watt machine at 600 DPI. i finger rubbed "Winton oil color, Titanium White" into the etching and the result was a beautiful white color. The oil paint completely dries in about five days so dont put the plaque outside before that.
I would like someone to tell me how to seal this paint, if it can be sealed, to get extra durability.

This paint tip was given to me by a memorial shop owner who has been doing it for quite some time.

Abdul
Use a sealant for stone called Sealers Choice Gold 15, it has worked for me and seals it really good, just wait about 7-10 days on oil and if possible longer as oil takes a long time to evaporate and it leaves the pigment behind. If it is for outside projects I suggest using oil enamel based paints, no latex it peels, enamel is tricky to work with, but can be done, wait to cure for two weeks or longer if possible and it should be good to go, if questionable seal it with the sealant. Any questions feel free to ask, I paint all the time with the oils on granite and marble, but marble is tricky!! good luck! Lorene :)