PDA

View Full Version : turned salad spoons

Paul Engle
10-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Am in need of where to find info on turning salad spoon/fork for a customer. Any suggestions on how these are made and finished other than the mineral or walnut oil treatment/s ???

Frank Fusco
10-26-2006, 10:42 AM
My wood turning club library has a project book with instructions on how to turn spoons. If I remember the title, I'll repost here.
Don't recall ever seeing forks turned. That would be interesting.
As for finish, don't wander far past the classic oiling. Any food safe oil will work. I'm partial to olive but that's probably an ethnic thing. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2006, 1:27 PM
You can turn two spoons and then take one to the bandsaw or scrollsaw and cut the tines out. I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil for finish.

Jim Underwood
10-26-2006, 1:55 PM
Ditto on the Bandsaw...

Use 3/4 material, cut the blank to rough size, turn it on the lathe leaving the spoon or fork part shaped by the lathe on the edge only. Give the handle whatever whoopsiedos you want. Then when you have that done take it to the bandsaw to give the front or back of the spoon/fork the shape you want. Cut your fork tines with the bandsaw. Then use gouges or sanding to shape the spoon. Sand it all down and give the food safe finish of your choice.

Let's see... I have a book here somewhere...

Hmmm.. here's scoops by Richard Raffan in the book; "Master Woodturners", by Dale Nish.

Well I don't see anything after a quick look in my book pile, but the stuff you're asking about is typically called "Treenware" (Kitchen utensils). I'd bet a dollar that you can find instructions on the internet for it...

Paul Engle
10-26-2006, 2:14 PM
thanks guys this will get me going ...one of my clients orderrf 4 salad bowls 5 inch, one larger 10 in bowl in walnut and spoon/fork to match for Christmas ,of course i agreed then it dawned on me i dont know how to do the spoon fork thing.... I will post some pic's when they are done. My first " commission " in truning and notttt tooo nervous .....:o :eek:

Joe Fisher
10-26-2006, 2:41 PM
Here's a set of salad servers that I turned from Cherry:

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/salad%20servers.jpg

Not exactly spoons, but *super* easy to make. Just turn the profile you want, bandsaw the tines on one, then bandsaw off the "cheeks" to make the business end as thin as you like. Finish is a few coats of mineral oil.

-Joe

Jonathon Spafford
10-26-2006, 2:54 PM
I've made a couple... they are pretty simple... Here (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.html#spoons) is a couple tutorials that give you an idea of how it is done. Hope that helps!

Paul Engle
10-26-2006, 4:19 PM
thanks, I will check both. I like the flat type spoon/s of Jonathan's . I sent the pic to my client and let her check it out.:D

Jim Underwood
10-26-2006, 9:40 PM
Here's the one I was thinking about, but it is linked from the same site as the other one.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/assets/turning_articles/coffee_scoop/scoop.html

It's actually a scoop, but you see how you can turn the bowl and the handle.

The Richard Raffan scoop I wrote about earlier, makes the scoop from and endgrain turning like you would start a goblet, but without the foot. Then you bandsaw the edge of the goblet till you have a scoop like you'd use for flour or something.

Curt Fuller
10-26-2006, 9:47 PM
As for the finish on something like spoons, I always use Walnut oil. Any vegetable type oil will work and when it starts to fade with use and washing it's easy to just wipe on a fresh coat.