PDA

View Full Version : choosing a compressor

Jacob Snow
10-26-2006, 10:10 AM
So i am thinking about getting a compressor. Mainly for nails and stuff, probably for shelves and such, trim, boxes, etc... Doi want oil less or one that has oil? What does that mean and what are the implications of each?

Alex Shanku
10-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Generally, oil-less compressors are priced lower, are louder, and burn out sooner. That said, I have an oil-less 33gal craftsman and it works great for what I need.

David Giles
10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
If you need the nail guns, there are some pretty good combo deals on the pancake compressors. Some questions to ask yourself. Will you move it often? Weight may be an issue. If not, why not consider a bigger compressor, even a 220V system. Do you want to run sprayers or multiple framing guns at one time? A bigger system could be called for. How important is noise? I chose a little Thomas because the pancake compressors made the wife jump every time they came on. She stopped visiting me in the shop and I liked the company.

You notice that I didn't address oiled vs oil-less. Any compressor is good enough for casual work. The oiled are reputed to last longer and be quieter. But if you use an oil-less compressor enough to wear one out, you are in a different use league and I can't help there.

Erik C. Hammarlund
10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Bigger tanks are better; the motor cycles less.

Bigger tanks are also heavier. And nonportable.

If all you want to do is drive a nailgun, get a smallish pancake.
If you want to drive more than one nailgun, and you need it portable, get a twinstack or a bigger pancake.
If you don't need it portable, get the biggest "portable" model you can find.
If you want to have air in your shop, or drive any other air tools, get a floor model.
If you want to drive the "serious air consumption" air tools (e.g. sanders) get a big floor model.

Either way, if you're noncommercial, oil or not won't be your big
issue. You probably won't wear out your compressor. Don't forget to look for used models!

BTW, 2-stage is better than one-stage.
This is probably somewhat more important than oil for most users. Though to be honest I doubt most folks would notice.

Greg Koch
10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Amazon has a deal you might want to take a look at. Factory re-conditioned tools can be great bargins... Compressor, 2 guns, cases.

Factory-Reconditioned Porter-Cable CFFN250NR 16 Gauge Finish Nailer 18 Gauge Brad Nailer Compressor Combo Kit
Other products by Porter-Cable
(6 customer reviews)

List Price: $540.00
Price: $179.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $360.02 (67%)

Free shipping, and an additional $25 off on their special.

Conrad Aquino
10-26-2006, 3:03 PM
One other consideration.... most of the oil less compressors if I remember correctly utilize a diaphram type arrangement versus piston/valves for compressing the air... that characteristic supposedly makes them a shakey candidate for use in dust laden environments.

I don't have a dust collection system (yet), so I always make sure that my garage shop is pretty well aired out by the time I'm ready to use my compressor for assembling stuff.

Also, I would buy more compressor than you think you need right now... been there done that... trust me, down the road you'll see some use that needs a higher CFM (such as applying a final finish with a spray gun) than what you have and wish you had bought a more powerful model from the beginning.

I'm now in the market for something more substanial that the Poter-Cable pancake that I have, because I now want to do more things with a compressor than what I originally thought I would ever do, and regret not thinking down the road a bit more before buying.

frank shic
10-26-2006, 4:21 PM
jacob, word of caution: that porter cable pancake compressor is LOUD as anything! i wear ear plugs underneath ear muffs and warn all my family members to stay out of the general vicinity if they value their hearing. the thomas 1/2 hp compressor is not nearly as noisy (60db) and will do a fine job if you're just going to be using it to power nail guns.

John Piwaron
10-26-2006, 8:13 PM
I've got a 4 gallon oil less pancake right now. I bought it for running a nailer, and must say it's been great for that. And once I had it, I realized I no longer had to rely on gas stations for getting air in the tires of the family cars.

Even so, I wish I'd gone bigger. I don't think I'll ever want to run a spray rig, but what I wish I had more air for are things like a die grinder.

So I recommend going with a bigger machine that you think you'll need. It'll save you money in the long run.

Ben Grunow
10-26-2006, 8:22 PM
I have a PC 15 gallon oil less that we use for the job and it hasnt died after a full year of all day use, 5 days a week. It provides enough air for 2 framing nailers and runs much less than 50% of the time (recommended by mfgr to avoid overheating). I think it was $275 at amazon.com. I am getting one for the shop too.

For the job we build a box over the compressor about 3' square and drill some 1" holes in it. It protects the compressor and keeps it quiet.

lou sansone
10-26-2006, 9:35 PM
I have used a lot of different small comperssors. the best on out there by far is the makita compressor

Makita MAC2400 13 Amp 2-1/2 Horsepower 4 Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor

nothing else will touch it for performance and low noise.

check it out on amazon and see the reviews
lou

Al Willits
10-26-2006, 9:56 PM
If your even a bit of a do it yourselfer, go as large as you can, you'd be surprised at what you can do with air.

I run a 5 HP Ingersoll Rand comm unit and have the garage piped for air, use it all the time.
Also ended up buying a Sears $100 compressor on sale to use as a portable, it runs the Brad nailer just fine.

Al

John Callahan
10-26-2006, 11:27 PM
"nothing else will touch it for performance and low noise." ..........except for the Thomas T-200ST (4.6cfm@ 100psi) or the Thomas T-2820ST (5.0cfm @ 100 psi) and they're quiet. The Mak has got 'em beat by a mile on price though.

lou sansone
10-27-2006, 7:00 AM
"nothing else will touch it for performance and low noise." ..........except for the Thomas T-200ST (4.6cfm@ 100psi) or the Thomas T-2820ST (5.0cfm @ 100 psi) and they're quiet. The Mak has got 'em beat by a mile on price though.

granted I have not heard the thomas, but both the makita and the thomas are 1750 rpm units ( which definitely helps on the whining noise issue) . but the makita is an oil type vs the oilesss thomas. My personal experience with these little compressors is that the oiless tend to be nosier. One reviewer of the thomas says they prefer to wear ear plugs around it. He stated that the thomas was less noisy than his router but not all that much. The Makita is really pretty quiet ( you can easily have a conversation when it is running ) and less expensive.

Bill Bezilla
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I have had the Makita for 2years.

I bought it because it was best low noise/ high volume compressor at a reaonable price. It runs at 50% of the RPM of most compressors hence the low noise and longer life. It is a little heavy but they have a smaller HotDog compressor that is similar construction is you need something highly portable.