PDA

View Full Version : Festool vs Bosch jig saw blades

Jim Hill
10-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in quality between these two?

Thanks,

Jim

Scott Coffelt
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I haven't found any myself, they both seem to work and last about the same. Just my opinion, personally, I wouldn't doubt that Festool OEMS them from Bosch.

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 10:41 AM
On the regular format blades, they are likely reasonably comparable. Festool, however, has some heavier blades available that I find very useful for certain operations, especially in thick material. (I don't recall them being available from Bosch)

Bob Marino
10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Neither Festool nor Bosch manufacture their own blades. The Bosch blades are made in Switzerland and the Festool's are made in Germany. Both are very similar and both very high quality, but as Jim mentioned Festool does have a series of thicker/heavier blades available.

Bob

Jim Dailey
10-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I had used the Bosch for years. Quality blades at a reasonable price. Both Bosch & Festool cut well provide you use the correct blade for the application. However the Festool are much thicker. The thickness is the key to tracking because they have less flex. The finer tooth Festool wood blades leave near finish quality edge. But they are expensive. Once I made the switch to the Festool blades the Bosch blade have never seen the light of day.

One note: a couple of weeks ago I was using my Festool saber-saw on a treated deck I was building with a 4" blade (S 105/4 FSG) to cut off 4x4's. Did a great job cutting straight & fairly smooth for a course blade. I had the saw laying on it's side, not running and just... and I mean just brushed against the kerf on one side of the blade.... these blades are soooo sharp it laid my finger open. The Festool blades do seem to be sharper than the Bosch, or have more aggressive kerf in some of their blades.

Hope this helps, jim

Jim Hill
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the insight!

Jim

Scott Thornton
10-26-2006, 7:55 PM
I own both a Bosch and Festool jig saw. The Bosch has become my roughing out jig saw and the Festool my finish jig saw as it's so easy and smooth and the cuts are awesome, it's pretty much finish quality.

Both are good jig saws, the Festool does a little more and has a better overall quality. Also, the Festool I have is one of the originals (or at least older models, PS2 I think).

HTH.

John Miliunas
10-26-2006, 8:28 PM
As it happens, I was in a pinch one time and needed a blade I didn't have via Festool. Bought a Bosch, which I thought should do the job. It did, however, I wasn't nearly as happy with it as I am w/my OEM Festool blades. FWIW, I will continue to purchase the Festool blades for all of my work, though now, it looks like I may have to "stock" a few I don't "ordinarily" use, as well. :rolleyes: :) :cool:

norm brownstein
10-27-2006, 2:07 PM
Will the festool blades fit a bosch 1597? If so where can you buy them Thanks

Dave Falkenstein
10-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Will the festool blades fit a bosch 1597? If so where can you buy them Thanks

I'll assume a Bosch 1597 uses the t-type jig saw blade - I can't find that model number in the current offerings. If my assumption is correct, then the answer is yes, the Festool blades will work with any saw that uses the t-type blades.

You can buy Festool blades direct from Festool:

http://www.festoolusa.com/default.aspx

or from any of their dealers. I recommend Bob Marino:

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/

Here's a handy Festool jig saw blade application chart, that includes the comparable Bosch blade number:

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/JigsawBladeCompChart.pdf