PDA

View Full Version : W&H moulder

Dave Bureau
10-26-2006, 9:28 AM
Any feedback on the w & h moulder? Construction? quality? value? they are only about 20 minutes from me and was considering checking them out and maybe purchasing one.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Jim Hager
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I've got one and like it a lot. The only limitation is their cost and the cost of the blades. Kinda pricy but probably worth the price. I now make all my own molding and dodge the high prices at the lumber yard.

They are very well made and simply constructed so that you can work on them easily without frustration. I haven't had any problems with mine yet but when I do it will be a relatively simple fix, if the parts are available.

Noisy little buggers though:cool:

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
My neighbor has one. Awesome machine.

Quinn McCarthy
10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey Dave

I have had one for 5-6 years. It is a wonderful machine. It has paid for itself several times over. I have found a niche here for high end work. I have made several runs over 2000 linear feet and it just goes and goes. The knives are not cheap but you get what you pay for. They last a long time. I am just getting to the point where I have worn out the feed rollers. I bought a circle/arch jig and speed control unit from CG Schmidt and they are great additions to the machine. It's not an expensive machine to run and setup is relaltively quick so making small runs of trim is profitable.

Quinn

Steven Peters
10-26-2006, 6:28 PM
I can't tell you how many miles of mouldings I have run on one of those machines. It's very hard to find a comperable machine in the price range. They are capable of very tight radius mouldings.

John Miliunas
10-26-2006, 6:44 PM
I was given one a couple years ago or so, in pretty rough shape. I restored it and, from what little I've run through it thus far, that bad boy kicks some serious booty! AND, good ol' USA quality, as well! :D :cool:

Tracy D. Mitchell
10-27-2006, 1:22 PM
This is a really nice machine. I have owned one for several years and had it serviced by W&H. They are great to work with. This is usefull for all sorts of moulding patterns. I had a custom crown profile knive set made locally for about 150.00.

A couple of years ago Grizzly.com started marketing a knockoff with a shopfox base and a larger motor 2hp for $900.00. It looks identical but I don't know anyone who purchased one of thiers.

Jim Becker
10-27-2006, 2:29 PM
A couple of years ago Grizzly.com started marketing a knockoff with a shopfox base and a larger motor 2hp for $900.00. It looks identical but I don't know anyone who purchased one of thiers.
Discussed in the last few days (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29695) right here at SMC...Keith owns one.

Bob Dodge
10-28-2006, 7:20 PM
Any feedback on the w & h moulder? Construction? quality? value? they are only about 20 minutes from me and was considering checking them out and maybe purchasing one.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Dave,

Everything about that W & H is top-notch. Output is glass-smooth. Quite versatile with optional attachments (Vari-feed, elipse jig). Plenty of power for the widths you're working with. Beautiful rugged stand. If you haven't already checked-out the cutters, do so. M-2 1/4" tooling.

I don't own one, but I've lusted over this machine since I first saw it demonstrated. One of my buddies is a renovation contractor, and he's put a ton of work through his W & H, and he's very happy with it. It's paid for itself many times over.

Bob