PDA

View Full Version : New pen

Keith Christopher
10-26-2006, 12:33 AM
An employee is leaving tomorrow and I was commissioned to make a going away pen. So I bought some cocobolo and a euro pen kit and the rest is history. enjoy. Sanded to 8K, then applied shellac sealer, then one coat spray laquer, left to dry and sanded to 12000 Micromesh.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/newpen.jpg

Close up: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/DSC01360.jpg

Corey Hallagan
10-26-2006, 8:08 AM
Very nice Keith as always.

Corey

Mark Pruitt
10-26-2006, 8:22 AM
Keith, you scored a home run with that one. The lucky recipient is going to love that pen!

Frank Fusco
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Cocobolo, European style and excellent workmanship, a combination that is hard to beat.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2006, 1:25 PM
That is one mighty fine looking pen. Nice job Keith.

Martin Shupe
10-26-2006, 5:39 PM
I've been using Hut products on pens. I have turned less than 20 pens/pencils with my son, so it is not my primary focus, just something I do once in a while. They make nice teacher gifts, and he likes to turn them.

I am looking for a more durable finish. Not sure I want to use CA, but I was wondering how you do your spray lacquer.

Do you just spray it out of a can? or do you have a large spray system?

My shop is crammed into my garage, and until I can build a stand alone shop (which keeps being postponed, seemingly forever) I don't have room for a spray booth.

Would it be possible to just use a can of lacquer and spray the blank right on the mandrel?

If this is a stupid question, I apologize. I am not much of a turner, and even less of a finisher.

I have used Waterlox on furniture. I have also been thinking about using that on a pen, but not sure how well that would work either. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Keith Christopher
10-26-2006, 6:29 PM
I've been using Hut products on pens. I have turned less than 20 pens/pencils with my son, so it is not my primary focus, just something I do once in a while. They make nice teacher gifts, and he likes to turn them.

I am looking for a more durable finish. Not sure I want to use CA, but I was wondering how you do your spray lacquer.

Do you just spray it out of a can? or do you have a large spray system?

My shop is crammed into my garage, and until I can build a stand alone shop (which keeps being postponed, seemingly forever) I don't have room for a spray booth.

Would it be possible to just use a can of lacquer and spray the blank right on the mandrel?

If this is a stupid question, I apologize. I am not much of a turner, and even less of a finisher.

I have used Waterlox on furniture. I have also been thinking about using that on a pen, but not sure how well that would work either. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Martin,

You know I've always approached these types of questions in the most odd sort of ways. The fact that the 'pros' use < insert method here > doesn't mean it's the only way or for that matter the 'correct' way. So I experiment. I try things, and sometimes it works well sometimes not. But I learn something. You know the old oft quoted

"We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb”.
---Thomas Alva Edison

I keep is simple. I use a can of Deft spray clear gloss laquer. I leave it on the lathe, vaccuum up all the shavings and cleanup prior. I seal the wood with a couple of coats of Mylands then I spray, rotate a little, spray...repeat until an even non-dripping coat. Then I remove the mandrel from the headstock and set it upright and wait about 20 minutes then rub out the finish. If I need another coat I put the mandrel back in and apply in the same manner.

I'm not making 500 pens a day so I don't need special finishing racks to maximize on time. If I were to be there, this system will not scale well. The most important thing to make a finish successful is

WOOD PREP.

Skip this and it doesn't matter what setup you have, your finish will suck. (pardon my slang) spend the time to remove ALL visible scratches, clean all the dust off the piece, look at if from every angle, feel it; feel a bump;you'll be able to see the bump when finished.

sometimes I use Mylands alone or just a couple of coats of PPP, depends on the pen, the wood and the customer. In the end it's up to them and what they're happy with.

In the end find one that works for you, I know of one person who dissolves plexiglass in a bucket with acetone and uses that. I will probably NEVER use that method but it works for him.

but above all, properly prep your wood and you'll have a GREAT looking finish.

Keith

Corey Hallagan
10-26-2006, 7:08 PM
For spraying lacquer ( which I don't use often because it is so nasty) I took a couple coat hangers, looped the bottom end so that it fits up into the tube and holds it from falling off. I use a binder clip on the top with a hole drilled in it so the hanger wire comes up thru the hole and I can hang the blank up to dry on a hook on my peg board. You can spray it and turn it around and get good coverage eas y and hang it up. Very simple.

Corey

Curt Fuller
10-26-2006, 9:44 PM
That's a very nice pen Keith. And thanks for the pointers on the finish.

Keith Burns
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Very nice pen Keith !! That style is about my favorite:) :)

John Miliunas
10-27-2006, 11:26 AM
That's killer, Keith! I'm quite certain the departing staffer will greatly appreciate and enjoy that! Nice job. :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
10-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Keith, Beautiful! I love the form and finish.:)

Ernie Nyvall
10-28-2006, 6:11 PM
Wow, that finish is nice. Who ever is getting it will be pleased.

Bob Noles
10-28-2006, 7:21 PM
Keith,

As has already been said over and over.... That is a work of art. I have always admired the pens you have shared with us and you have provided great inspiration in my direction for pen making. I am enjoying it more by the day and learn something new with each pen I complete. To me pens and smaller items are a lot of fun and certainly no less of a challange than many of the larger items.

Thanks for sharing.