PDA

View Full Version : Boards warping

Brian Knop
10-22-2003, 11:54 PM
I have been gluing up so popular panels and some quarter sawn red oak panels. Thay are 26" x 18". I glue two havles together so I can run them through my 12" planner, then glue the havles together. I have the wood grain rotated so one is up the next down. This is suppose to keep it from warping, but I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Brian

Todd Burch
10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
What's the moisture content of the wood? How are you storing them after you glue them up and and prior to them warping?

Lee Schierer
10-23-2003, 8:44 AM
I suspect your problem has to do with the uneven amount of material being removed from each side of the glued up pieces and the moisture content of the wood. One solution might be to clamp the boards flat with some cross pieces right after planing to hold them flat and to allow even air circulation on both sides of the piece. You'll need to leave them clamped for several days or until they get built into the final piece. Letting you wood set in the workshop to acclimate for several weeks is the best way to avoid this problem, assuming the wood is properly dried.

In my shop, I can bring home wood with 7% moisture and it will stablize out at about 8% after a week in my shop. As the winter goes on that will slowly drop back to 7%.

Steve Clardy
10-23-2003, 9:31 AM
Try this. Leave them clamped right up till you need to use them.
Steve