PDA

View Full Version : Slice or Dice ?

Fred LeBail
10-25-2006, 8:40 PM
I know that I haven't been posting lately but I have been reading and taking in lots of info. So, now I need some advice on how to cut this burl for the best results. It is Yellow birch and is 24" x 18" x 14" deep. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
It has been sitting outside for about 3 yrs and I was afraid to cut it up then and I want to do it right.

Fred LeBail
10-25-2006, 8:44 PM
Pic ture of afore mentioned burl

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2006, 9:56 PM
What do you have in mind of turning out of it? Bowl, platter, goblet, or fancy firewood? :D
To me? It would matter what you wanted to make from it before I would decide how to best cut it.

Jim Becker
10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
What Uncle Dennis said... ;)

Frank Fusco
10-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't think you should risk messing with it.
Send to me for experimentation. :rolleyes:

Reed Gray
10-26-2006, 11:56 AM
It looks like it has 2 lobes to it, a smaller one (right) and a larger one (left). I would bisect them, then come in parallel to the outside of the log under them. That would give 3 pieces, the 2 burl lobes, and the log which will also have some interesting grain.
robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't think you should risk messing with it.
Send to me for experimentation. :rolleyes:

Nice one Frank.!!! I should'uh thought about that.:p

Fred LeBail
10-26-2006, 9:47 PM
Well I guess I omitted some pretty important info in my first post. I was thinking of bowls and that type of turnings. My lathe has a capacity to turn 20" bowls but not really interested in anything that big. Having said that I have a Kelton coring system that has seen little service because of being under powered.I have recently changed the motor to a 2hp.

Nice try Frank !

Reed, I just cut it from the full log the other day and it was quite soft and the ants had nested. I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Edward Orecchio
11-09-2006, 7:44 PM
I'm a member of the NH Guild of Woodwookers and have asked that question a dozen times but it's hard to get a good answer. I've made plenty of bowls,hollow forms,boxes, natural edges bowls,green wood,seasoned wood mostly from neighbors,loggers I know,etc but I just get crazy trying to cut burls! I've got 4 burls sitting in my yard with the biggest one a full circumferitial one about 28" in diameter( about like yours) These are only 6 months old and I have at least the big one in half but I afraid they wiil spalt out before I decide how to cut them. Rather than plan a bowl or platter or whatever I want to use the burl to its max and will make what it dictates especialy natural edges. Any help will be apprectiated-my fields are turning into a horizontal forrest!
Ed